Thread: Tool/cleaning kit for M91/30. Explain the useage.

Tool/cleaning kit for M91/30. Explain the useage.

I've collected a bunch of Mosins, but have not thought about the kits that were included with them for a long time.
    A friend recently bought 2 M91/30s from AIM. He asked me what the various items were used for. I couldn't give him a good, detailed explanation.

Could you fill in the gaps?

The thing that looks like a screwdriver/comb. I know one of the grooves is for checking the firing pin length.

The knurled cap thing is a crown protector when cleaning.

One item is, or looks like a cleaning jag.

Another item that has a hole thru it is probably a handle for the cleaning rod?

And the last is a small rod with part of it scooped out a little. I don't know how else to describe it. Have no idea what it's used for.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    I've collected a bunch of Mosins, but have not thought about the kits that were included with them for a long time.
    A friend recently bought 2 M91/30s from AIM. He asked me what the various items were used for. I couldn't give him a good, detailed explanation.

Could you fill in the gaps?

The thing that looks like a screwdriver/comb. I know one of the grooves is for checking the firing pin length.
    It is a screw driver and firing pin guage, you are right. The smaller of the two middle grooves is your minimum firing pin protrusion. The larger of the two is your max. If your firing pin protrudes too far from the bolt face to pass through the larger slot it is too long and needs to be dialed back some, or else you may punch straight through your primer, expelling some very hot explosive gas back into your face. Best case scenario it scares the hell out of you and you piss your pants.

The knurled cap thing is a crown protector when cleaning.
    Yep. But if you remove the bolt and clean from the receiver end it shouldn't be needed.

One item is, or looks like a cleaning jag.
    The grooved rod that threads onto your cleaning rod? Yes, that is a cleaning jag. :P
    Another item that has a hole thru it is probably a handle for the cleaning rod?
    It actually acts as kind of a cap for the cleaning rod. Stick your rod through this cap, aligning the holes, and place the "small rod with part of it scooped out a little" through it to form the handle. Here's some more info with pictures.
    http://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.co...kit/index.html
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Thank you for that link. I sent it to my friend. We both appreciate it.
    I have so many C&R sites bookmarked. I even have that one, but only the "forums" section, and I never checked further.

ETA: As long as I'm here, is there a "correct" version of sling and dog collars for a 1940s M91/30?
    If not "correct", what will work, especially considering the length of this rifle?
    Last edited by number6; 04-05-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

As far as I know, any "dog collar" sling that is long enough to reach both escutcheons (the holes the collar strap runs through) and have some slack will work. But if you google M91/30 slling you can pick one up easy. Otherwise you can probably rig up a more traditional swivel sling to the stock using screws... But I don't recommend that. As far as I know the correct sling for a 91/30 is the long olive green one with the two leather dog collars on each end. There may also be some leather slings available, but I wouldn't think they are in very good condition.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".