Thread: Ithica Model 37 Modified Barrel for Sporting Clays?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Ithica Model 37 Modified Barrel for Sporting Clays?

Shot my first round of sporting clays today... Don't ask! I sucked...

Anyway, I shot a buddy's high end Browning OU and never did get a good site picture. I was either too high on my shoulder or I was leaning into the comb too much. Cheek bone is bruised and shoulder is a little sore from holding too high. Plus I shot with just a tee shirt on, no padding.

I was thinking of using the old 37 featherweight I have and replacing the 28" full with a 28" or 30" modified. I always shot best hunting with a Model 37...

Anyway, I need a barrel and any advise...

Funny, I used to shoot 50% to 70% hunting, but stayed under 50% on the clays... like I said, I suck...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Stick with the shotgun you know and are familiar with. I've found that high end shotguns don't shoot any better than the "average" shotgun....they just cost more money.

In college, I was shooting trap, informally, and was averaging 23 out of 25. Then, our club went to stations and shot 25 shots per turn. Since I was shooting a double barrel 12, after about 17-18 shots, the barrels would heat up so much I couldn't see beyond the heat ripples on the barrel. I tried other guns, but never managed to shoot my "informal" average again. My gun was that double barrel and I had to drop out as it just wasn't suited for prolonged shooting.

Now, if they had gone back to 5 shots per round, I would have been able to shoot with the gun that suited me best. Any time you substitute the gun that fits you like a glove, your averages are going to suck.

That featherweight 37 sounds like it's the gun made for you....stick with that one.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Comfort is the real factor. I am no pro but the feel for a handgun, shotgun or rifle would be paramount in my opinion.
    Use the 37 with no changes then move if you wish. JMO.
    Speaking of high end. I was at the range one day watching the people shoot clays.
    A man walked up and asked if I would mind tending his shotgun for a moment. I said no, checked that it was unloaded
    and placed the bbl on my boot and the man left.
    He wasn't gone all that long, returned and said thank you.
    A couple of minutes later another man walked up to me and asked if I knew what I was holding.
    I replied a shotgun the man looked at me amused and said that was a &&&&&&&, meant nothing to me. Then he asked
    do you know what that shotgun is worth? I said no and he said around 12,000.00 dollars.
    It was pretty but to shoot clays? To each......
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

In the past I would scour the fun shows in my area looking for any Ithaca 37 bbl. Never saw one.

I think I found a used barrel re-choked to modified...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Let us know how that turns out.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I think I found a used barrel re-choked to modified...
    take your time fitting it.

all of them I've rebarreled it took some delicate work to get it to fit/time up.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

The barrel was post serial #855,000 the interrupted threads are different...

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    take your time fitting it.

all of them I've rebarreled it took some delicate work to get it to fit/time up.
    The Model 37 has interrupted threads, they were designed for break down / interchangeable barrels???? I thought gauge and pre-post-serial #855,000 was all that is needed.

If all else fails I can either:

*buy a 30" barrel, cut it down and have interchangeable choke tube(s) installed
    *buy another Model 37 with an improved cylinder or modified barrel

May just go for the latter, in pricing barrels, I can find guns cheaper in many cases...