Thread: Another AK project.....

Another AK project.....

A few years ago I started a thread about my conversion of an early PAP with the ugly plastic thumbhole stock into an Ironwood stocked traditional AK47. Well, I'm up to my old tricks again with my latest project; turning a new rifle into one that looks as though it went to war. In other words, a battlefield pickup rifle.

I bought this new Century M70AB2 and while I liked the rifle, I felt that it needed a little something:

While it was nice enough, it was just a little too bland for me. I saw an add for the three pack of trench art Serbian wood for an underfolder from APEX and placed an order. Some work with sandpaper and steel wool I finally had what I considered a proper looking used AK.

Looks real nice. I did the same some time back and I love it. Now you just need to knock the finish off a couple of mags get some rust on em.
    One of these days when I grow up I will figure out how to post pics.
    What are you gonna do with the rest of the furniture and did you change your pistol grip?
    When did you buy your underfolder and what is that stamped on the bottom of the receiver?
    Last edited by l921428x; 04-05-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

That does look good. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Looks real nice. I did the same some time back and I love it. Now you just need to knock the finish off a couple of mags get some rust on em.
    One of these days when I grow up I will figure out how to post pics.
    What are you gonna do with the rest of the furniture and did you change your pistol grip?
    When did you buy your underfolder and what is that stamped on the bottom of the receiver?
    The sets came with pistol grips, but they were exactly the same as the one that was on it. I think that Century uses original grips from the kits they get and merely installs new handguards. One of the BPU sets is just beat up wood, no interesting carvings or anything. The other set has some carvings that look like the solider was doing some kind of high relief carving, but it is hard to make out.

Bottom of the receiver has the usual stuff, name of the receiver manufacturer, serial number and Century's name.

just asking cause all the info on mine is stamped on the left hand rear part of the receiver. the pistol grip that came on my rifle has relief in it for the fingers and I couldn't think of to many I had seen.

be the heat..

Quite a few years ago a guy was selling a SKS on Gunbroker that had carvings
    I worked with a few Serbs that were able to understand some of the markings
    One was a womans name and they told me that guys would name their rifles as their wife or girlfriend
    "Significant other" while they were serving kind of like in "Full Metal Jacket"
    Tried to find some on line with what I can read on yours can't be to sure though but here's a stab at it

SANELA I think might be a proper name

and if I'm reading it right
    SMEDA I found as brown or brunette

Have you looked into them? I couldn't quite make out the others some look like abbreviations
    Probably political, they do a square divided in quarters as a symbol of unity if you come across one of those
    Nice job again
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Thanks for the translation. I haven't really looked into it as I don't know any Serbians and I have been too busy lately to get off my you-know-what and look it up on the net. The words/names on the base of the lower handguard as are follows:

EIVEGIN -it is hard to make out the letter after the second "E", it could be an "O" but in the right light it looks more like a "G"

HZRH

SANELLA
    Last edited by Highpower; 04-06-2014 at 12:47 PM.

I did some looking around but really nothing definitive

Sanella comes back as just that which makes me think it's a name

Searching for HZRH shows up in blogs and twitter as part of a longer muslim name
    Considering the area that sounds like a reasonable meaning but may also be an abbreviation of something else

EIVEGIN doesn't come back at all. It may be slang or something else but a search for it will bring up "virgin"
    In particular:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_sworn_virgins
    Albanian
    sworn virgins (Albanian: burrnesha or virgjinesha) are women who take a vow of chastity and wear male clothing in order to live as men in the patriarchal northern Albanian society. To a lesser extent, the practice exists, or has existed, in other parts of the western Balkans, including Kosovo, Macedonian,Serbian,Montenegro,Croatia and Bosnia.

I find that interesting and may be a clue but by no means do I know that's what it means
    If you're really wanting to know you'd need somebody that can read it or know the meanings
    Just having some fun with it myself.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
    A few years ago I started a thread about my conversion of an early PAP with the ugly plastic thumbhole stock into an Ironwood stocked traditional AK47. Well, I'm up to my old tricks again with my latest project; turning a new rifle into one that looks as though it went to war. In other words, a battlefield pickup rifle.

I bought this new Century M70AB2 and while I liked the rifle, I felt that it needed a little something:

While it was nice enough, it was just a little too bland for me. I saw an add for the three pack of trench art Serbian wood for an underfolder from APEX and placed an order. Some work with sandpaper and steel wool I finally had what I considered a proper looking used AK.

Very nice Yugo underfolder, HP. I have one I bought back in 2005 that looks identical to yours. I swapped out the nice plain wood grips that came with it for some Balkans war grubby ones with a guy's name carved deeply into the lower grip. Just this past year I decided to go over the metal parts with a scotch scrubbing pad to get that well-worn effect. The rifle came out nicely...got a few Yugo milsurp mags to go with it, also very well-worn.

saw one that has Amer Hasan carved in it with some other letters and marks

be the heat..

Forum Administrator

Where is the serial number for the Front Trunion????????????????????????????????????

I don't think they were bothering to put serial numbers on the trunnion. I like the fact that it has Yugoslavia on there instead of Serbia, it shows it was made before the breakup and consequent civil war.

A couple more pictures...... I bought a few Yugo BHO magazines from AIM and they were pretty well finish worn, perfect for this rifle. One has a name? scratched on it.

With a few other old guns I have. I destroyed my knee at work the other day and have been taking photos to relieve my boredom.

Where did you come up with the folder.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Where did you come up with the folder.
    It's a Century gun. Walked into a gun store, paid for it and walked out. The first picture is what they look like when new.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Beautiful. Nice job
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Very nice pics.