Thread: I'm back and with another AK!

I'm back and with another AK!

After gunsnet disappeared for awhile, I forgot about it, but I am now happy to see its back! Just ordered a Russian SGL-31 and will post pics and range report when it gets in. Its crossed my mind to take this rifle to a class of some sort, have any of you guys been to formal training with an AK-74... if so where and what's a good class?

No classes for me. I get to act as the aggressor at work during execises, and I use news reports for my training. There is a guy who does training on old Soviet era tactics, being an old Spetsnaz operator. I guess he's got a good product, some of the reviews I've read have been for the most part positive. But I'll be damned if I can remember who he is and what his company is.

BTW, good score. Gotta get them pics up!
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

back!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Some times self taught is better. Welcome back.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Got the SGL-31 61 today. It is SWEET. I have been around AK's for about a decade now and I can find nothing to fault with this rifle by looking at it. (I haven't fired it yet) The test target is showing a 1/2 inch group at 25 meters with the muzzle brake on.
    The Saiga certificate book in russian is showing the final inspection on August 13th of 09 and the test target is dated this year. Sight is straight and not canted. Action is smooth and tight. Finish on the whole rifle is even and looks good. I can't wait to shoot this one. Pics on the mac are a no go for me but as soon as I can I will share a few.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Gabe Suarez is one of the top AK guys in the country. Larry Vickers has one too. Forget the former Russian Spetnaz guys who offer classes....one of them was on Deadliest Warrior, other was written about in Shotgun News.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    No classes for me. I get to act as the aggressor at work during execises, and I use news reports for my training. There is a guy who does training on old Soviet era tactics, being an old Spetsnaz operator. I guess he's got a good product, some of the reviews I've read have been for the most part positive. But I'll be damned if I can remember who he is and what his company is.

BTW, good score. Gotta get them pics up!
    Marco Vorobiev. In the infamous Book of the AK-47 Second Edition he has a picture of a group of soldiers from Ft. Riley that took his class. Leads me to believe his school is in Kansas. Not sure about his first name, he has another article in that issue about Spetznaz operations in Afghanistan. Just remember, if you're dressed in jihad wear and you have to piss, squat like a good little jihadist, if you stand like a man, you've just been made.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 10-02-2010 at 07:55 AM.

I am not sure we're on the same page folks. I could give a shit about russians, I just want to go to a good carbine class someday. But this AK is SWEET! I am putting a (now) $400 Kobra on this sucker and heading out!

Got a chance to take it to the range today and easily shot a 2.75 inch group at 100 kneeling with the iron sights. Probly could be cut in half. Excellent rifle. This is better than the other SGL31 I had about a year ago. Maybe just lucked out this time.