Thread: Career Aviator Hearing Loss?

Gunsnet Contributor 03/14 alamo308's Avatar

Question Career Aviator Hearing Loss?

I accumulated over 3,000 hours flight time in USAF reconnaissance (135, 130, E3A) aircraft that were only minimally acoustically insulated (adds weight to aircraft, you know). Job required continuous audio monitoring of radio-frequency signals, both voice and data/radar, often times with receiver volume maxed for hearability of weak transmitters. Exposure typically ranged from eight to 23 hours on a single mission. My audiologist measured my left ear at 30% loss of upper audio frequencies, with extreme tinnitus.
    My question is whether any other former aviators have successfully processed hearing loss disability claims, or are those claims typically denied as expected aging process?
    Fingers crossed.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

I worked the flight line back in the 60s and 70s. My hearing got so bad I was removed from my AFSC. I got out shortly afterwards and got tested by the VA for hearing loss. I had previously been issued a hearing aid by the air force. When I got tested, the tech testing me said I should have come in for testing before Carter was president. I would have received a 30 percent disability. Carter told the VA to reduce all claims as much as possible. I ended with 10 percent for tinnitus with no hearing loss. Major BS. This was in 1977. I have been issued hearing aids about every 5 years or so by the VA but they still contend I don't have any loss. BS. 5 years ago they finallt gave me a 10 percent loss disability so I now have 20 percent. The problem now is, with obummer in charge, trying to get a disability is like pulling teeth. Put in the claim and see how far it goes. Good luck....chris3

Not encouraging story, but at least you got a little something. I haven't given up.
    The Texas Vet agency is helpful in taking me through the VA paperwork maze, but they are way understaffed. It takes two months just to get an appointment.
    Thanks for the info!

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Quote Originally Posted by alamo308 View Post
    Not encouraging story, but at least you got a little something. I haven't given up.
    The Texas Vet agency is helpful in taking me through the VA paperwork maze, but they are way understaffed. It takes two months just to get an appointment.
    Thanks for the info!
    I had the Texas Vet office in Fort Worth file my original claim for herbicide exposure. After it got denied, I fired them and went with the DAV office in Dallas. They were much more helpful..............I have two herbicide claims pending. The claim for prostate cancer is in dispute and the claim for type 2 diabetes is in progress. It looks like I may have Parkinsons desease which will be a third claim. I will know on that when the testing is done. The big problem is that obama's VA is trying their best not to approve any claims or reduce them as far as possible. You should get at least 10 percent. Remember, when you do the word test, say huh alot....chris3

Exclamation My Claim Seems So Minor

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    I had the Texas Vet office in Fort Worth file my original claim for herbicide exposure. After it got denied, I fired them and went with the DAV office in Dallas. They were much more helpful..............I have two herbicide claims pending. The claim for prostate cancer is in dispute and the claim for type 2 diabetes is in progress. It looks like I may have Parkinsons desease which will be a third claim. I will know on that when the testing is done. The big problem is that obama's VA is trying their best not to approve any claims or reduce them as far as possible. You should get at least 10 percent. Remember, when you do the word test, say huh alot....chris3
    I truly wish you the best of luck, and hope your experience gets better (could it get any worse?!?). My hearing loss claim really seems quite trivial in comparison, but I'm not giving up. The good thing is, if approved, the effective date is retroactive to the initial filing date, even if it takes years to process.
    I don't know anyone who voted for B. Hussein Obummer, do you? (Or at least no one will admit it anymore!)