Thread: Difference between carbine and rifle barrel length regarding accuracy

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Difference between carbine and rifle barrel length regarding accuracy

I own a Remington 760 Carbine and tonight I decided to mount a scope on it. A new Bushnell Banner. (yeah i know) Anyway, the barrel is quite short on this. Would a longer barrel have a noticeable difference in accuracy? It is chambered in .308 win. I am only looking for minute of deer but just curious.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Shorter barrels are "stiffer" and usually more accurate for the same barrel profile. Your little carbine will serve you well and be more accurate than you'll ever need for hunting or SD. But it won't be as accurate as a heavy barrel target gun.
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Usually I associate a longer barrel with greater accuracy when iron sights are involved since the longer sight plane offers better sight alignment. A slight misalignment of the front and rear sight has less effect of the target when the sights are farther apart. With a scope I would think the length of the barrel would have little of no effect. In one of my old Gun digest they ordered a Ruger Single-six with the longest barrel they could get, mounted the front sight in the middle of the barrel and started shooting groups. After every group they cut an inch or so off the end of the barrel, recrowned it and shot another group. Over the course of the test, which ended up with a barrel about 6 inches shorter then when they started I don't think the impact on the groups they shot was even noticeable.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...l_accurate.htm
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-13-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Usually I associate a longer barrel with greater accuracy when iron sights are involved since the longer sight plane offers better sight alignment. A slight misalignment of the front and rear sight has less effect of the target when the sights are farther apart. With a scope I would think the length of the barrel would have little of no effect. In one of my old Gun digest they ordered a Ruger Single-six with the longest barrel they could get, mounted the front sight in the middle of the barrel and started shooting groups. After every group they cut an inch or so off the end of the barrel, recrowned it and shot another group. Over the course of the test, which ended up with a barrel about 6 inches shorter then when they started I don't think the impact on the groups they shot was even noticeable.
    You would probably need to go to bench rest rifles to see a significant difference. With a powerful scope, and a stiff, heavy barrel, the shorter barrel will normally perform a bit better due to the stiffness. I remember back in the 70s, a large percentage of the bench rest community transitioned from 26 inch barrels on theior .308s, and .222s to 20 inch, or in some cases even 18 inch barrels.

For the average hunting rifle, it will make no difference.
    If you don't like cops, the next time you need help, call a dope smoker.

well thanks for the answers. Makes sense. I appreciate the answers. Possibility others may have wondered as well.

Something that was not mentioned is how the barrel is floated. Just a thought.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Gees How it is floated? Just a thoughtless comment. Damn did you ever see a pump action Remington "Floated"?

Quote Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
    Gees How it is floated? Just a thoughtless comment. Damn did you ever see a pump action Remington "Floated"?
    One of these days I will turn around and my dick will stick you in the eye ball. .

be the heat..

I doubt it. You would most likely mess that up as well. Are you real or one of those cyber robots?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    One of these days I will turn around and my dick will stick you in the eye ball. .
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Hey never mind just came to my mind it may be what you are looking for. But since I am so faraway, and the cows are not working for you anymore maybe you should start thinking about sheep.
    We in the east have heard of the herders fondness for something short, warm, fuzzy and doesn't talk a lot.

be the heat..

That was a popular post with Homosexuals on the forum. They can get off on that.

I doubt it. You would most likely mess that up as well. Are you real or one of those cyber robots?
    that was stupid stupid.

What are you into mechanical intercourse. Sorry, my bad that would go along with what I said earlier, right?
    Why the hell would a cow care? how long you been into animal husbandry?
    Last edited by l921428x; 04-14-2014 at 12:36 AM.

be the heat..

SOB man do you read those post. Damn, you are not even a Functional Illiterate.

That was a popular post with Homosexuals on the forum. They can get off on that.
    How would you know it was popular?

be the heat..

another thing you animal humper not all rifles are pumps, if you paid attention and didn't just run your dick licker all the time you would have noticed rci2950 had more than one rifle.
    as far as I know you can move scopes around and it could be something for future consideration.

Sorry A, didn't mean to mess up your thread.

be the heat..

SOB man do you read those post. Damn, you are not even a Functional Illiterate.
    might not be functional in your description but I still know, that you have to be able to read to write
    as far as illiterate? don't know the association is still out. one thing I do know is my avatar can beat your avatar and it don't wear a diaper on it's face.

be the heat..

WTF happened here? Did I accidentally post in the roadhouse? I think it's a good point that another rifle might be floated and this one is not. As far as I can tell this one has a barrel that appears to be simply screwed into the receiver. I may be wrong as I have never dismantled this one. But on appearance it is just held by that and nothing else is holding it up. My 700 is floated and it is a tack driver. I will have to check to see how my 742 is put together. Both of which are rifle length. This 760 is the first carbine length sporting rifle I have attempted to put into deer and coyote killing rotation. I was more concerned with barrel length and bullet stability as well as efficient powder burning in my question. I have since found out elsewhere that .308 needs 22 inches of barrel to burn all the powder properly. This one is 18. So looking forward to the m44 style fireball.

wait I am not sure about the barrel length/.308 thing.

just something quick.
    https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...&f=62&t=612443

it's a year old but could be some help.

it's not accidental and it is your thread. so...
    Last edited by l921428x; 04-14-2014 at 05:30 AM.

be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

OMG what a cluster fuck this thread turned into! I'm closing this thread down.