Thread: bolt carrier advice

bolt carrier advice

Hello all it's been awhile. I had my Mak90 out for a little wipe down and will try to get to the range this week. I don't shoot it that often. When I first got it you guys were very helpful with some info. One thing I forgot to ask about is the bolt carrier will hit the hammer on the way forward. It does not affect function at all. If I ride the carrier forward I can get it to stop on the hammer but a normal rack and while shooting it is perfect. It was made in 92 and I bought used about a 2 years ago so I do not know if the hammer is original. My motto is "If it ain't broke don't fix it". So is it something that should be left alone? Thanks.

That is perfectly normal, nothing to fix or worry about.

Thanks adog. I like to follow the doctors credo: "Do no harm" LOL.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The funny but dangerous thing about what you describe is that some people think they found a bolt hold open for their AK, and it will hold the bolt back on some rifles, but all it takes is a slight bump to get the carrier to continue forward. Not a problem unless you have your fingers in the breach for some reason.

Usually after a few thousand rounds the ability to stop the bolt on the hammer will go away, but there will always be an interference as that is how the carrier locks the hammer back into the disconnector on recoil.

Your right about a slight bump. When I would ride it home and it stopped in that spot it would only take a little knock on the receiver to dislodge it. My mak is far from pristine so I cut a notch in the safety lever to hold the bolt open at the range. A requirement at the public range when the line goes cold. Even in that notch if I press the bolt forward it can push the lever down. I often get a cold sweat when I think of my fingers in there if it should slam closed. I could probably chamber one of my fingers. LOL.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

For what it's worth I agree with the first two to answer your post. Good information by both.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    My mak is far from pristine so I cut a notch in the safety lever to hold the bolt open at the range. A requirement at the public range when the line goes cold. Even in that notch if I press the bolt forward it can push the lever down.
    Use (bring along) a spent 12ga shell or a large spent rifle round that does not go to the rifle and stick it in the breech sideways.
    Works for any of the local ranges here.

I often get a cold sweat when I think of my fingers in there if it should slam closed. I could probably chamber one of my fingers. LOL.
    Gives a whole new meaning to shooting the bird at someone...