Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell's Mausers

Mitchell's Mausers

Looking at getting a k98, has anyone purchased one from Mitchell's ? just looking for some good or bad experiences.

I could easily be wrong here but, in the pastI seem to recall that the consense was they were over priced with little real coloctor value due to them refinishing them. If you were willing to pay the prie though they were nice. At least that is what I seem to recall reding last time some one asked about them. I am by no means an expert though so wait for some one who really knows to chime in.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

That's also what I heard.

High prices for refinished, force matched guns. Supposedly some of the receiver stamping is done in house to make the gun look more collectible than it is. The documentation that comes with them is also an in house thing.

Though, if the looks are worth the price to you, they are attractive looking guns, with nice presentation materials to go with them. Just not the authentic war relics they are made out to be. (When they were actual war relics, ol' Mitchell must have decided they weren't shiny enough...)

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Way over priced. Get one at a gunshow or else where. Mitchell's Mausers is the most expensive place to buy one.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

yep

Get a real mauser.

Another vote for getting a real, non furbed mauser if it was me.

But I would like to add, that I recently got to shoot a MM that a friend bought, and his is beautifull, accurate shooting rifle..
    If you have the money, and dont have the time to search your own rifle out, then go for it, you wont be disapointed.

I bought a Yugo M48 thru them. It was advertised as never issued and it appeared to be that way. 300$ It was worth it to me. Don't see them advertised anymore. I've seen m48's for sale but they are beat up and not near the like new condition that the M48 from MM was in.

Appreciate the reply's, don't want a collecters piece just something that I can shoot the hell out of that is in firing condition.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I checked them out for a Luger,no Luger for me.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Would a Yugoslovian capture be up your alley ?

The MM refurbs are gorgeous rifles no doubt, and they are tight fitting. I I have "the real McCoy"...

Non import marked, all numbers match but the rifle bolt (and all the numbers on the bolt match eachother, not unusual as the rifles were handed over, the rifles were tossed in one pile, and the bolts in the other), all parts plus the original sling. Probably a vet bring back.

And it is likely the crown jewel of my collection, I would not mind having a MM K98k just for shootin'.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

This was a post from another site. I found the welding part interesting.

Mitchell's Mauser are fraudulent reproductions and the fact they are allowed to run ads in the NRA magazine is ludicrous!

They take mismatched rifles weld over the Serial Numbers, grind them down and stamp the receiver number of them.
    Then they call them "matched" (Not "matching" as that would be fraud)
    If you know anything about German guns they have proofs on most every part not just numbers and notice Mitchels only has nice fresh numbers (If you know to look you might also notice the fonts are inaccurate as well)

They are, however, safe to shoot but are misrepresented when described as anything but refurbished mismatched Russian captured Parts guns. Heck, the bolt is in the white on their K98Ks!!!! There was no such thing as an unblued K98k bolt in the Wehrmacht.

Google K98k, Mausers and go to the various Mauser boards and ask about Mitchell and see how little difference there is in the description I gave you.

I have spent the last 3 years in buying/selling and trading K98ks and you buying a Mitchells' Mauser and thinking you got something is like getting a counterfeit 100 bill and thinking you have money.

When you go to sites like G/K43 you can post a link to a GB K98k auction and ask for opinions on correctness and get good advice. You will end up with what you expect.

Funny, I am not the only one posting such accurate descriptions of "humped", "Boinked" Mitchell's K98ks and I have never heard of Mitchell's objecting to any such posting.

If you want something in a Model 98 to shoot, you can find lots of non-98K's in the form of various Czech and Yugo versions. I own several of both and never owned a bodafide 98K due to the high prices. The Czech's are sought-after items too, but not necessarily for the same reasons as German units. The Yugo's can be very nice items as well and usually in better shape than others for the same money.

I've bought a few from Big-5 and once you get the grease off them they're great shooters. Just be careful of canted sights, etc. They're still very shootable but why settle for misaligned parts when you can take a minute and be sure.

you are better off with a RC mauser then a forced matched mitchells rifle.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Looking at getting a k98, has anyone purchased one from Mitchell's ? just looking for some good or bad experiences.
    I picked up the new copy of Surplus Firearms magazine the other day. On the inside of the back cover is a full-page ad for Mitchell's. They have the Serb 98 listed at $299 including the accessories (usually a bayonet & frog, leather sling, oil can & cleaning kit) and the German K98 listed at $399. I'll go against popular opinion here and say these are beautiful rifles at a very reasonable price, considering all the extra components they're packaged with. However; they are not a serious collector's piece due to the extensive cleaning, sanding of stocks, and (as mentioned above) in many cases the forced matching of bolts, recievers, & stocks. These rifles to my mind are primarily shooters, great for either the range or hunting.

I bought a MM Model 48 about 5 yrs ago for 300 bucks out the door, all accessories included. I refinished the sanded stock w/ 5 coats of linseed oil, but aside from that had to do nothing to the rifle but shoot it. And shoot is something it does very well. If you're looking for a collector's gun I would give them a pass & pick up a milsurp rifle that hasn't been tinkered with...but for 300 bucks or so I think these rifles are actually a good deal for a serious shootin iron. My 2 cents

You need to find yourself a Yugoslavian M48 Mauser:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M48_Mauser

Years ago, I happened to come across one of the "BO" makred Mausers... I don't know if its true or not, but the gunstore owner told me they were made for the Egyptian army, but when the Suez Canal incident broke out, its like the order was cancelled.

Anyway, I have what is reported to be an "unissued" condition M48 Mauser... and it sure looks it! The stock's got lots of garrison marks on it, but the bore has crisp rifling and the thing was coated with about 1/8" of cosmoline. I got it for $269, all matching numbers (including the bayonet) and its every bit as pretty as a Mitchell Mauser.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

If you're willing to look past the supposedly false advertising, the Michell Mausers ARE excellent shooters.

Beautiful guns, excellent shooters. Priced at the top end of the market, and deceptively, or at least deliberately ambiguously advertised.

So, think of them as really nicely finished modern reproductions, that just happen to be made up of a melange of refinished/remarked/refurbed WW2 parts and modern new parts like most of the stocks, etc.

I bought one 5 yrs ago and I love it. Excellent rifle. K98 8mm
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I have an idea:

Why not buy a collectible ?

Get a non-messed with one.
    A veteran bring back. The kind that guys whom fought and laid down thier lives a vicious war known as World War 2, brought back to share with thier friends and families.

And get one that has matching numbers ( where they are supposed to be stamped). Get one that hasnt been ground or re-numbered, but orginal that will hopefully go up in value. One that you can pass down to your children with pride.

Dont get one that is: RC, Yugo re-work, Mitchells, Rumanian, Import stamped, Mis-matched numbers, re-numbered, had a scope mounted on it, had a name carved into the stock, etc etc.
    Last edited by don w; 04-17-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast