Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Sunday

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up S&W Sunday

Was doing my semi-annual cleaning/inventory and found a couple S&W wheelies I hadn't taken photos of in a long time, if ever. Hope you enjoy.

S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum, .357 Mag pretty much NIB circa 1976, I believe this was one of the last ones before they started the 66-1 change.

Here's one you don't see all that often. S&W Model 36, 3" taper barrel from around 1974. This is the taper barrel model not the heavy barrel. A lot of the 3" I see are the later heavy barrel. Picked this one up LNIB and added the Tyler T-Grip but have never shot her.

The last one is a very sweet Model 10-5 Military & Police from 1978. No box for this one but it is in beautiful condition and it's the only 6" I've run across in this model. It shoots wonderfully.

Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Very nice old school revolvers. I have a 66 that I picked up in 1976 used, so probably one of the first models they came out with. I put some Pachmyers on it long ago as the stock grips were only about 80% on finish. I think it was a Police trade in.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Beautiful guns!

I love the 10-5, but wouldn't it have seemed outdated in 1978?

I still have my dad's model 19-4 from that era. I'm glad I rescued the original box and paperwork from the garbage can years ago.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

"outdated"? I guess most revolvers were starting to be thought of as "outdated" back then but a lot of Police departments were still issuing wheelguns. Now the fact that it's a 6" is a little odd. Lots of departments issued 4" and 5" Model 10s and quite a few, I think LAPD was one, issued 6" adjustable sight models like the Model 14 and Model 68.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I like the 66 and the 36, though I wouldn't turn down the 10-5 if you offered it to me! Nice looking revolvers.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

at least we know they have a good home. nice indeed!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    "outdated"? I guess most revolvers were starting to be thought of as "outdated" back then but a lot of Police departments were still issuing wheelguns. Now the fact that it's a 6" is a little odd. Lots of departments issued 4" and 5" Model 10s and quite a few, I think LAPD was one, issued 6" adjustable sight models like the Model 14 and Model 68.
    I didn't mean all wheelguns being outdated, I meant that the model 10 seems to have been outed by 1978 in terms of S&W's product line of revolvers. I think if I were my age in 1978 I'd be more interested in a 27, 28, or 19, or any number of other models I can't remember off hand.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I didn't mean all wheelguns being outdated, I meant that the model 10 seems to have been outed by 1978 in terms of S&W's product line of revolvers. I think if I were my age in 1978 I'd be more interested in a 27, 28, or 19, or any number of other models I can't remember off hand.
    Oh, ok. I guess you would think it would have been but S&W still catalogs the Model 10 and Model 64 heavy barrel models. I guess there'll always be some market though perhaps a small one for a simple, sturdy, fixed sight revolver in .38 Special. I think there are a lot of shooters out there like myself that got their first handgun experience shooting a Model 10 or the Colt, Ruger, Taurus equivalent and again like myself they like to return to things that are familiar at some point in their life. I know I've introduced several dozen boys, girls, men and women to handgun shooting using my 4" M10 and or 4" M64.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

i need to get one of those tyler t-grip for my 13-4
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Here's another one. Second year of production Model 57 in .41mag. Not a huge fan of nickel and still working on polishing this one up but it's not looking too bad. The afternoon sun is not nearly as forgiving as the early morning when it comes to photos.

USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

A 66 was my first handgun. Would love to have another one!

Only $$$$ S&W's have been popping up locally.

Once I get a rather large 30-06 project finished , I'm going on the hunt again.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Very nice.

Those are some great looking revolvers.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

There is nothing more beautiful in the realm of firearms imho, than the older S&W revolvers which have that almost laquered deep-blue finish. I had a .38 Special Combat Masterpiece I bought nib back in 1976 and paid $125 for. First handgun I ever purchased after turning 21 that same year. Had to sell it less than 2 years later due to being a broke-ass college student. Purchased a nib Model 586 in the early 80's after getting my corporate gig out of school; it was S&W's knockoff of the Colt Python w/ the full-length ejector shroud under the barrel.

After having some issues in several inner-city areas of Chicago and Gary where I was required to frequent on behalf of my job I also picked up a late-70's model Chief's Special snubby in .38 Special, which I still have.

I gave my wife a Cannon Elf digital camera for Xmas back in December. I have to get off my lazy ass and post up some photos of my meager revolver collection.

Model 19-4 with a number of upgrades from the factory. Please excuse the shitty old pics.

Happy S&W Sunday to everyone! Thought I'd share some of my stainless steel S&W revolvers this Sunday along with the blades I like to carry with them or in the case of NIB guns, what I would carry with them if I were to carry them.

First up is my Model 610-2. One of 300 made for Lew Horton Distributors in 1998. The blade with it is my Emerson Commander. Together they make a great CCW combo.

Next is my M64 no dash taper barrel with an equally old school Douk-douk.

Last but not least is a NIB M66 with a CRK large 21 Sebenza. Perfect combo IMHO.

Well that's my S&W Sunday, how about yours?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

M&P 15-22
    629 Classic
    28-2 Highway Patrol
    Gotta love them S&W's

I ran across this one for sale. I thought I would post it here for all to ogle.

s&w.jpg

Richard, your Smith collection rocks!

I've been drooling over used Smiths online all week. I can't wait to go hunting for a nice Smith in the local shops after I get some cash on hand.

At this point I think I'll take almost any frame, barrel length, caliber, and finish combination, so long as the gun is in good shape and affordable. Except maybe for some especially weird calibers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast