Thread: Looking for a new semi-auto shotgun

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Looking for a new semi-auto shotgun

just got the itch, already have a 870 with a couple barrels, and Browning A-5, as well as assorted break open single and doubles. Wondering if there are any opinions on the these two, benelli is getting looked at as well but the M4 is another $800, the M2 isn't bad but I want a straight stock and i can only find it locally with a pistol grip.

Here are the two getting heavy consideration, FN herstal SLP with a straight stock, 18" barrel, 6 in the tube

and the Beretta 1301 tactical, I lose a round with it but it looks like I can easily fix that, also like the larger bolt knob and controls, and it claims to cycle 36% faster than another shotgun on the market.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I like the Mossberg 930 SPX with traditional stock and the 930 JM Pro. They are basically US made budget versions of the FN SLP, and are supposed to be very reliable. The SPX has an 18 inch barrel and peep sights, 7 shot tube. JM PRo has 22 or 24 inch vent rib barrel with fiber optic bead, 9 or 10 shot tube.

930 SPX:

930 JM Pro:

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Get the Benelli or forever wish you had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

If your purpose is defense get a Saiga-12.

have to ask a toopid Q. why all that hardware on top? hunting quail?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

no just the collection, the 870 was my home defense piece until I switched over to pistol.

I like the idea of the saiga's but they do not float my boat, have more mags to get and lug, but mainly it is the magazine sticking out the bottom so far for only a couple more rounds. I don't even like pistol grips on a shotgun, let alone a giant magazine.

I looked more at the benelli, the m4 besides being another $800, is not made in the U.S. so to extend its magazine tube past the 4 its at I would have to swap parts to make it 922r compliant, also a straight stock for it is extremely difficult to come by and runs about $200, somewhere in the ballpark of $2200 is more than I would like to spend. The M2 is still in the running, it is a recoil only system and has reliability issues if you start attaching lights, side saddles, or optics. Those are not a concern of mine as I like my shotguns as sleek as possible with no protrusions like pistol grips, magazines, flashlights, etc.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    If your purpose is defense get a Saiga-12.
    Or a VEPR if you do not have one... MHO...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

FN SLP is pretty awesome. Never shot the Beretta.

Face your fear, accept your war.

The M4 is cool but heavy and kinda limited options wise, the fact it's an import does make it a 922R problem child as you described.

The Remington Versa Max looks interesting (basically an M4 knockoff) but they don't appear to make a tactical model.

You could always look for a used Benelli M1 Super 90.

Based off your two options I'd lean towards the FN. I agree with your desire to stay away from the Saiga, it's a cool novelty but it's really that practical.