Thread: Customized German Mauser

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Customized German Mauser

Just digging through my safe and figured its a good day for show and tell. Now Before anyone explodes, this was done in the 1950s when German Mausers were as common as fence posts. It was also done professionally. It was owned by a family friend since it was done originally. It was rebarreled with an aftermarket barrel chambered in .303 British because that at the time was one of the most common choices for ammunition. The bore is pristine. Shoots like a dream and would give any modern sporting rifle a run for its money. On first glance it looks like a .22 rifle because it is so small and light. Best part about it is, the custom barrel has a tighter chamber then the Lee Enfield so it is easier on brass. The Bolt handle and safety is aftermarket as well as the stock. The only thing that is original is the receiver, trigger, trigger guard and magazine floor plate. I enjoy it for what it is. It would be nicer if it was still original but in this way it tells more stories about the original owner who brought down many deer with it. I normally cringe at bubba rifles but this one was done so well it is hard to tell it was originally a Mauser.

Last edited by rci2950; 05-18-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

another nice rifle, do you know who mounted the scope rail?
    like the proof marks.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Customized German Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    another nice rifle, do you know who mounted the scope rail?
    like the proof marks.
    No i dont. I assumed the same person who customized the rifle. If only it could talk. All that time as a military rifle and then as a hunting rifle.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Yikes, it's the abominable snow cat !

The first deer i shot was with my uncles sporterised British .303 jungle carbine, yep that was a pretty common thing to do in the 50s with the old battle rifles

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

When I was growing up, customized 98's were common. Back then, gunsmiths turned out beautiful products. Yours looks top grade! Enjoy it.
    Dan

They are great shooting rifles. I got one for my 21st birthday and even though the bore looked like shit it still held a really nice group. I wouldn't hesitate to take it hunting.