Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini 14. To buy, or not to buy?

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Mini 14. To buy, or not to buy?

I think everybody has at one time flirted with buying one at the very least, but more than likely bought one and "hated" it. Why on earth would I want one?
    Truth is I'm shopping for my wife. She wants a semi auto rifle that shoots 5.56 (she really likes the lack of recoil and slinging lead quickly). Though I'm trying to convince her to stick to AR's for a list of reasons, she likes the Mini. She's more of a recreational shooter than anything, she doesn't care to thumb her nose at liberals, and as a range toy a Mini would serve her just fine I'm sure. It is a much prettier looking gun hands down but for the money a Mini costs, I'm absolutely baffled by why she wouldn't just have an entry level AR. She may not be very SHTF conscious, but that rifle will need cleaned some time. So why not buy a weapon she knows how to strip and clean (and as a bonus find spare parts a dime a dozen)? I understand why a Mini14 would appeal to her, but mags for it are shitty and not nearly as common, why not stick with a platform we have mags for? Maybe if I can get my hands on one of these wall hangers to take to the range for a day and show her what a piece it really is I can talk her out of it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well They are light but then again an AR15 can be had just as light. They use older style rock in magazines and by contrast to the AR / M16 rifle stuff in mag design, the Mini magazines are hard to insert and lock in. The Ruger factory mags are still the best but they run 3 to 4 times the price of a comparable quality AR15 magazine. The built in sights are inferior by contrast to A2 Iron sights. Ruger has improved the Mini so that they actually can hit a target now, but still that's no reason to get one if you already have AR platform rifles.

She is probably use to handling all these medium to heavier barreled AR rifles that come in at 8 to 9+ lbs. With a 16" light barrel profile rifle you can easily get to the 7 Lb. range of rifle weight. Also now with the Sig brace thing a Pistol in the 5 lb. range of weight can be had. I'm building one with a 10.5" barrel, but a 12 or 14" barrel could also be used.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-27-2014 at 04:30 AM.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well They are light but then again an AR15 can be had just as light. They use older style rock in magazines and by contrast to the AR / M16 rifle stuff in mag design, the Mini magazines are hard to insert and lock in. The Ruger factory mags are still the best but they run 3 to 4 times the price of a comparable quality AR15 magazine. The built in sights are inferior by contrast to A2 Iron sights. Ruger has improved the Mini so that they actually can hit a target now, but still that's no reason to get one if you already have AR platform rifles.

She is probably use to handling all these medium to heavier barreled AR rifles that come in at 8 to 9+ lbs. With a 16" light barrel profile rifle you can easily get to the 7 Lb. range of rifle weight. Also now with the Sig brace thing a Pistol in the 5 lb. range of weight can be had. I'm building one with a 10.5" barrel, but a 12 or 14" barrel could also be used.
    Bingo! This right here is every reason to get a basic AR platform over the Mini-14, that and along with your own compare and contrast statements Aggressive Perfector.

was_peacemaker
    Show her this video and compare and contrast it to a AR for her.

Yep $30-35 a magazine vs $9 magpuls' is good enough reason.

I liked mine so much I gave it to Raxar.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

I liked mine so much I gave it to Raxar.
    Well thanks, I hadn't mentioned that on the gubmit monitored forums yet. I'm sure my file just got another tick mark.

But since the cat is out of the bag I will throw in my highly edumakat3d opinion.

Stick with the new model, the sights are pretty decent now. Fuck the old ones, they are for obese trailer park denizens wearing stained wife beaters.

As the receiver says they are "ranch rifles". As an all around beater you can keep in the truck or by the back door in case its needed they are great. If you expect the paratroopers to be falling out of the sky tomorrow than probably not.

I like mine but THEY ARE A PAIN TO CLEAN.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I like mine but THEY ARE A PAIN TO CLEAN.
    How so?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

A-P, if you love her and she loves you and shows it, then just man up and get her what she wants. Obviously, she's not worried about SHTF (she has you around and you have all the serious guns if the need arises, plus, she already knows how to use them). She just wants a rifle she can, occasionally, take to the range and have fun with. That's all she wants.

I'm sure you have, or have had, a few guns that were for nothing but fun plinking, or you just liked the looks of them. Obviously, that's what she wants.

So, just make her happy and get it for her. You never know the benefits that might arise from catering to her whim...
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The tapco magazines are affordable and now come with metal locking tabs.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

What alismith said. it's always a good idea to keep mama happy, if she likes the mini and will enjoy shooting it, then do it.

We all know that there are better rifles out there, but women think differently than we do.

My wife likes to shoot my FN 5.7 pistol, not because of it's accuracy, not because of the 20 rnd mag, not because of the low recoil, but because she thinks the little bullets with the blue tips are "cute". There is no way i'm going to try and educate her about this, after 34 yrs of marriage i have learned when to shut up and just enjoy our time shooting together.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    How so?
    sliding panels, small and larger springs, lots of things, pieces, to keep up with.

be the heat..

sliding panels, small and larger springs, lots of things, pieces, to keep up with.

guns like this are lincoln logs compared to shit in my garage laying around .

Well thanks, I hadn't mentioned that on the gubmit monitored forums yet. I'm sure my file just got another tick mark.

You've been fucked since you openly confessed you owned a jennings.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

guns like this are lincoln logs compared to shit in my garage laying around .

You've been fucked since you openly confessed you owned a jennings.
    yep on both statements. but I really do like the rifle.

be the heat..

While I've always kinda wanted the A-Team gun, the urge has never been strong enough to actually "pull the trigger" as it were.

One of my friends got it in his head he wanted a Mini-14. I explained to him ad nauseam about why an AR-15 was superior in every way on multiple occasions.

He ended up getting the Mini-14 anyway because it was what he wanted. I didn't give him shit for it, I just told him that was as good an excuse as any.

Less than a year later he sold it and told me I was right all along. I knew I was, but I wasn't going to rub his nose in it.

Let the wife get the Mini. If she enjoys it then you've got another gun in the safe and a happy wife. If she doesn't then you can sell it and get something else. In which case you will have another gun in the safe and a wife appreciative of your understanding.

starving, you did not say why he got rid of it. he might have found jesus, he might have needed the money or have swore off carbines. momma might have told him to get rid of it.
    or..........

be the heat..

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Starvin View Post
    While I've always kinda wanted the A-Team gun, the urge has never been strong enough to actually "pull the trigger" as it were.
    If you gotta go 80's style A-Team then you have to get the stainless.

Stainless GB series ,but have somebody bring a boom box to provide the full auto sound effects.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I currently own two. One of them was the first semi auto rifle that I had ever owned. Keeper. I have another that I got a good deal on. It is one of the new ones with the sliding/folding stock. Shoots like a dream. Even with the crappy 40.00 red dot on it. She wants one. Get her one. If only I could get my wife interested in shooting.

starving, you did not say why he got rid of it. he might have found jesus, he might have needed the money or have swore off carbines. momma might have told him to get rid of it.
    or..........
    I actually didn't ask. My guess is that once the newness of the rifle wore off he realized the AR he already had did everything he needed, and did it better than the Mini-14. Once he realized this, it was only a short logical trip for him to conclude he had other priorities in life he'd prefer to address with the money he had tied up with the Mini.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast