Thread: .204 Ruger AR build?

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

.204 Ruger AR build?

Well less a build rather than putting an upper together. I went out with my grandpa to take out some ground hogs for some local farmers and was impressed by just how accurate his rifle/ scope combination was. Reached out and touched one of those little bastards at 330 yards with one shot using a scope set up for his specific round of choice (40 grain Hornady VMax). It was almost like cheating. Dial in the range on the scope and put the cross hairs on target. All the guess work minus wind was taken out of the equation. So now I want to assemble an upper using this round and scope for varmint hunting. My only real questions are... What barrel would you guys most recommend for this project, and will standard mags and BCG work?
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Can you take a picture of his gun and the round? I reckon I've never seen the round ..
    What's up my nigga's

The .204 has the same case head as the .223 so the bolt will work.

Some people report that metal mags work for the .204 but they have problems with MagPul's and other plastic mags. YMMV

http://www.predatormastersforums.com...Number=1666358

It's apparently a common conversion, with some makers offering rifles in the .204 Ruger caliber.

Silent, It's basically an enlongated .223 with a smaller diameter bullet. I can't find any pictures on google with the rounds side by side.

I just talked to my uncle not long after posting. To my surprise he has gotten into AR's and built 7 of them, 2 of which were in .204. I've obviously missed out on quite a bit, but that's another story for another time. According to him standard AR15/M16 BCG's work without issue, and GI mags usually feed decently, but Lancer mags feed 100% reliably.

It'll be a while before I get a range report. The scope I'm buying for this thing is $900.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Really good glass will equal the rifle's price. What are you looking at a Leupold? You might want to look at the Super Sniper http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42M-Tacti...pe-P53713.aspx SWFA SS MRAD Scopes.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

R204bvmax.jpg

From L-R - 204 Ruger 32 grain (2.1 g) Vmax, 223 Remington 55 grain (3.6 g) Vmax, 204 Ruger 40 grain (2.6 g) Vmax

The 204 Ruger was developed from the .222 Remington Magnum, which has the second largest case capacity in the family that began with the .222 Remington. Only the European 5.6x50 Magnum is larger, which itself is a lengthened version of the 222 Remington Magnum. The 222 Remington Magnum provides about 5% more usable (below the neck) case capacity than the most popular member of the family, the NATO 5.56×45 mm (.223 Remington). To make the 204 Ruger, the 222 Remington Magnum case was necked down to .204 inches (5 mm) and shoulder moved forward and angle increased to 30 degrees.

Reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.204_Ruger

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Silent, It's basically an enlongated .223 with a smaller diameter bullet. I can't find any pictures on google with the rounds side by side.

I just talked to my uncle not long after posting. To my surprise he has gotten into AR's and built 7 of them, 2 of which were in .204. I've obviously missed out on quite a bit, but that's another story for another time. According to him standard AR15/M16 BCG's work without issue, and GI mags usually feed decently, but Lancer mags feed 100% reliably.

It'll be a while before I get a range report. The scope I'm buying for this thing is $900.
    That is really cool!! Soon as you get the glass please give a range report! Would like to know the balistic's of this round.
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    R204bvmax.jpg

From L-R - 204 Ruger 32 grain (2.1 g) Vmax, 223 Remington 55 grain (3.6 g) Vmax, 204 Ruger 40 grain (2.6 g) Vmax

The 204 Ruger was developed from the .222 Remington Magnum, which has the second largest case capacity in the family that began with the .222 Remington. Only the European 5.6x50 Magnum is larger, which itself is a lengthened version of the 222 Remington Magnum. The 222 Remington Magnum provides about 5% more usable (below the neck) case capacity than the most popular member of the family, the NATO 5.56×45 mm (.223 Remington). To make the 204 Ruger, the 222 Remington Magnum case was necked down to .204 inches (5 mm) and shoulder moved forward and angle increased to 30 degrees.

Reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.204_Ruger

Steve
    Thank you Steve! Great info on the round!
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Really good glass will equal the rifle's price. What are you looking at a Leupold? You might want to look at the Super Sniper http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42M-Tacti...pe-P53713.aspx SWFA SS MRAD Scopes.
    Go ahead and put a night force on that sum bitch! Lol
    What's up my nigga's

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Does this round really perform any better than .223/5.56 varmint loads?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I went out again and again nailed a ground hog at 541 yards. 2 shots due to wind blowing first round a little off. I've never shot .223 varmint loads at that range, so I really couldn't say. I just know I'm getting hits at that range with ease, I'm sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    While the scope you're pointing out looks pretty damn good and I may get one for another rifle, the glass I'm wanting for this upper is designated specifically for the trajectory of the 40 grain VMAX loads. Each click on the elevation adjustment is set for a specific range. You really do just zero it at 100 yards and then you're set. All you really have to do is adjust your aim for wind, hold steady, and squeeze the trigger.

Some data from Hornady: The 40 grain .204 has a flatter trajectory, dropping almost half as much as 55 grain .223 at ranges between 100 and 500 yards. It also has a higher velocity and hits harder than .223 at these ranges. Data:
    http://www.hornady.com/store/223-Rem-55-gr-V-MAX

http://www.hornady.com/store/204-Ruger-40-gr-V-MAX