Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still shooting their MBR?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Anyone still shooting their MBR?

My Polytech M14S is long gone as are my Garands. I'm down to my early CAI CETME (this is one of the very first with wood furniture and cast SS receiver) and large marge. Guess Large Marge is really more of a BABR (Bad Ass Battle Rifle) but she is my main gal so she still counts I guess.

Haven't had the CETME to the range in ages. It still has the Century muzzlebrake which, while it does a great job is also loud as hell and knocks stuff off the benches beside me at the range. Also the front sight is every so slightly canted on mine. Nothing major but given that and the fact that my eyes are over a half century old my vision isn't as good as it once was so I'm looking for a good way to mount either a scope or a red dot on my CETME.

Any optics and mount suggestions would be appreciated.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I'd go scope on a .308... This is the best mount: http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK...-NEW-p1880.htm

You can get a rail that mounts to the claw.

Leaper's make a cheap version that seems to work for a lot of people. But, if you plan on rough use, I'd go with the better mount.

If you can find one AIMS made a great mount also, the is what is on my CETME.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Still enjoy my STG-58 on those seeming rare days when I go shooting anymore.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I haven't taken my Garand to the range in about 2 years, but I have plans to. I have verified that the ammo I have can be used at the range I will be going to. I just have to finish my some school work I am doing. I have told myself "no shooting until the school work is done" to motivate me to finish. Hopefully in about a month I will back out shooting and the Garand is at the top of the list to take out.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I'd go scope on a .308... This is the best mount: http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK...-NEW-p1880.htm

You can get a rail that mounts to the claw.

Leaper's make a cheap version that seems to work for a lot of people. But, if you plan on rough use, I'd go with the better mount.

If you can find one AIMS made a great mount also, the is what is on my CETME.
    The problem, as I understand it is the Stanag mounts need the flex of the sheet metal receivers to let them lock on. My receiver is cast and doesn't flex at all so I would have to modify the Stanag mount to fit my particular rifle. Maybe not a biggy but it couldn't later sell the mount separately as it would no longer work on a standard CETEM/HK91 receiver.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Unless you have some sentimental value in the CETME I might would sell it and use the money to buy a new PTR rifle with a pic rail welded to the receiver.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

newp.. got rid of my mbr's

unless you count the Garand and a few other nefarious things of mine in the .30cal category .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Still enjoy my STG-58 on those seeming rare days when I go shooting anymore.
    Iron sights or glass? What do you have on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    The problem, as I understand it is the Stanag mounts need the flex of the sheet metal receivers to let them lock on. My receiver is cast and doesn't flex at all so I would have to modify the Stanag mount to fit my particular rifle. Maybe not a biggy but it couldn't later sell the mount separately as it would no longer work on a standard CETEM/HK91 receiver.
    I dremeled the mount area on the receiver and touched up the paint.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

If memory serves me correctly it's been about a decade since I last shot my century G3. A few years back I was tempted to get one of those surplus Hensoldt 4x scopes for it but the cost just wasn't worth it for how little I shot the rifle. After the .308 surplus dried up it became cost prohibitive to shoot. I reload, but the fluted chamber messes up the brass and .308 brass isn't cheap.

I still kinda want a FAL in my collection but the thing that keeps me from buying one is knowing that, like the G3, it'll probably never really get shot enough. I keep telling myself I'm going to sell the G3 since I know I can get more for it than I paid all those years ago but it was the second rifle I bought so I'm kinda nostalgic for it.

Personally, if I'm going to spend the time and money reloading .308 it's going to be for my precision rifle, which is far more satisfying to shoot. I'll leave the blasting to my AR, I can get range pickup brass for free and bullets, powder, and primers are still reasonably priced (though the bullet prices for it continue to tick up like everything else).
    Last edited by Starvin; 06-14-2014 at 08:44 PM.

was_peacemaker
    Nope, got rid of my FA-91 clone mainly because of the .308 ammo issue. Kind of got pricey.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Not real often, maybe every other year. I still have my M1A, 2 FAL's I built and my 1st M1 Garand rifle. Someday I'll build the kit I have parts for to complete that Springfield stripped receiver I've had since 1999.

I sold off all of MBR's because of the ammo BS. Way too expensive, at this point it would be more of a novelty or luxury to own another... sadly enough.
    "I will never fail my comrades"

I don't remember the last time I shot my M1A, HK-91, HK-91 clone, DPMS LR-308 or my Remington 700 VSSF ... but I haven't gotten rid of them yet either. I've still got powder, primers & projectiles to load about 3,500 rounds and about the same of surplus Hirtenberger I bought back in the late 90's ... but in the last year or so I did buy a V-51 pistol which I'm not sure if I'm going to keep ... If I do I'll SBR it ... then for Christmas I got one of the US made SiG SSG-3000 and a month or so back I picked up a SiG 716 DMR.

When I bought the new guns I was thinking I'd sell the old 308's but I wanted to make sure I liked the new ones better first ... I just haven't gotten around to it yet as I've spent most of this year in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    I don't remember the last time I shot my M1A, HK-91, HK-91 clone, DPMS LR-308 or my Remington 700 VSSF ... but I haven't gotten rid of them yet either. I've still got powder, primers & projectiles to load about 3,500 rounds and about the same of surplus Hirtenberger I bought back in the late 90's ... but in the last year or so I did buy a V-51 pistol which I'm not sure if I'm going to keep ... If I do I'll SBR it ... then for Christmas I got one of the US made SiG SSG-3000 and a month or so back I picked up a SiG 716 DMR.

When I bought the new guns I was thinking I'd sell the old 308's but I wanted to make sure I liked the new ones better first ... I just haven't gotten around to it yet as I've spent most of this year in the hospital.
    Those all sound nice. Now that you mention the Hirt, seems like I bought mine about that time too. IIRC Century had it, don't recall the price but it came loose in WWII MG42 ammo cans. Still have one or two of the cans and maybe 150-200rds of the ammo. Also have 300-400rds of the mixed 7.62x51 that Southern Ammo used to sell. Most of mine is Israeli with some LC and FN mixed in. I still remember paying $100 for 1,000rds delivered in ammo cans. Wish I had bought many thousands of dollars worth at that price.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Remember the 1200 round cases of SA in 200 rnd battle packs? It was $139 the first time I bought some... wish I had a rail car load...

Never owned one. Always wanted an m14 though. Only .308 I shoot is my bolt gun.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Neither my Mosins nor my PSL get shot enough.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I need to break out the PSL... it is the only .30 cal that is still reasonable to shoot...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast