Thread: "The Hammer"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up "The Hammer"

At least that's what I call it. The proper/official name for it is the Smith & Wesson 38/44 Heavy Duty Model of 1950. Now you know why I just call it "The Hammer".

The particular example was born around 1956. The stocks are the correct style with the flat bottom but of course a period correct set would need to have the diamond around the screws. I've had her for a number of years and even though she has a bit too much end shake she shoots quite well with a trigger and action only years and years of use can produce. Back when the 38/44 HD was introduced law enforcement was looking for more penetration than what the standard .38 Special would provide so with the introduction of the HD came various .38 special loadings that were a good bit hotter than the norm which is why S&W decided an N frame .38 Special was needed.

The hotter loads back in the day were a 158gr bullet at 1,175fps, perhaps a bit hotter than that even and a 200gr Super Police load (not sure what the fps was on that one). Some were getting real close to todays .357 mag loadings.

With S&W and others currently offering J frame guns chambered in .357 a big old N frame in .38 Special seems like overkill but in reality it makes for a great shooting and highly collectible wheelgun. Prices on the HD and it's adjustable sight cousin the Outdoorsman have increased greatly as folks found out what nice guns they are so they are no longer the sleeper of SW collectibles but, if you keep your eyes open you can still run across one now and again at a very good price.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

What does the "44" part mean? Is it because it was a .44 Special frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    What does the "44" part mean? Is it because it was a .44 Special frame?
    Correct. The N frame was pretty much dominated by use in .44 Special firearms so the 38 was for caliber and the 44 was to indicate it was the largest frame model.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

Fine example of S&W cold blue steel.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice one Richard.

Thanks for the replies. I'd love to get a 5" prewar HD. So far everything I have in my collection is postwar and out of the various models the Heavy Duty is about the only one I could probably afford. The various Registered Magnums, Pre-27, Pre-29, 1st, 2nd and 3rd model 44's etc. are just crazy expensive but I keep looking and hoping.

Pulling the trigger on these older wheelguns is kind of like shooting WWII Milsurps, You know you are shooting a piece of history. With the milsurps you have some idea of what that history may be but with these S&W, Colts, etc. you really have no idea unless they are police marked or letter to a famous or infamous personality. There history can be anything your imagination can dream up. I think it just adds to the enjoyment of shooting and collecting them.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Love this Smith!

But why was it around in the 50's when .357 was already out?

Damn I need an N frame!!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    But why was it around in the 50's when .357 was already out?
    Wikipedia answered that one for me:

The .38/44 was an option for purchasers unwilling to pay the premium pricing of .357 Magnum revolvers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_.38/44
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Something about a well worn blued finish and wooden grips you'll never get with todays polymers and high tech coatings.