View Poll Results: Do you have one in the chamber when you carry a pistol with no manual safety?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chambered

34 85.00%
  • Not Chambered

6 15.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber poll

One in the chamber poll

Who carries with one in the chamber on their pistols without a manual safety? Just curious after seeing all these guys shoot themselves with a holstered pistol.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Sig P226, Sig P6, Sig P232 and carry in a holster that protects the trigger...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I think they're shooting themselves while they holster, not with it just riding secure in their holster.

I carry a da/sa pistol in DA mode with ammunition chambered and safety off.

Also, my XD stays loaded whether its performing night stand duty or being carried in the car.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I'll kill you before you can chamber a round.

Keep your finger off the trigger till you have identified a target.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I can't answer since my pistol has a manual safety. You need to practice holstering correctly or you might shoot your dick off, or so I hear.

No need to chamber a bullet in a gun while it's holstered unless your going to go out speed shooting mutha Fucka's or some shit.
    What's up my nigga's

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    My always with me sidearm is a Kahr PM9. When that get that small you want that extra round in hopes of not needing it. I keep mine in a holster that only allows me to touch the grip when pulling it out. The fact that it is double action only and has no safety is not an issue. Actually it is, it makes it nice to not have to worry about whether the safety is on or off in the heat of the stuff hitting the fan.

As for having one in the chamber, all my other self protection pistols are kept that way. I have practiced until I am tired of practicing, and will continue to practice until I no longer need to, pulling the firearm out and acquiring the target before placing my finger on the trigger.

And a funny thing about target acquisition, being a photographer has helped me make sure of my target and what is behind it.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Don't have much of a choice in this matter. The two guns I carry are a Bond Arms .45/.410 with .410 Defense shells or a S&W Mod. 37 in .38 SPL. Both have all their chambers loaded.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    My always with me sidearm is a Kahr PM9. When that get that small you want that extra round in hopes of not needing it. I keep mine in a holster that only allows me to touch the grip when pulling it out. The fact that it is double action only and has no safety is not an issue. Actually it is, it makes it nice to not have to worry about whether the safety is on or off in the heat of the stuff hitting the fan.

As for having one in the chamber, all my other self protection pistols are kept that way. I have practiced until I am tired of practicing, and will continue to practice until I no longer need to, pulling the firearm out and acquiring the target before placing my finger on the trigger.

And a funny thing about target acquisition, being a photographer has helped me make sure of my target and what is behind it.
    I have my glock in a similar holster. A black hawk sepra elite. When you draw your gun your finger is right above the trigger gaurd where it should be till you aquire your target.
    What's up my nigga's

I carry either my SR9C, which has the manual safety or a sigma, whose trigger pull is like 11lbs I think. Either way both are always chambered. SR9C is my preference, enough practice with the safety and it doesn't slow you down a bit. Both are carried in Remora holsters.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    Plato

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Always one in the chamber safety or not.

I don't know what circumstances might arise and whether or not I'll have enough advance warning or even be able to rack a slide, but I know damn sure I can pull a trigger at a split seconds notice.

Muggers and murderous psychos don't always give you fair warning or wait patiently for you to get your gear up and running.
    Last edited by weevil; 06-20-2014 at 11:16 PM.

I carry with all 5 chambers loaded.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Glock with one in the pipe regardless of model.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

My leather totally covers the trigger on my Sig. Finger never touches the trigger...in or out. Years back, there was a card...10 commandments of Glockdom.....all related to "Keep your damn finger off the damn trigger".
    Yup, one in the pipe.
    Dan

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Just my opinion but carrying a semiauto for self defense with an empty chamber makes as much sense as carrying a revolver but leaving the cartridges in a speedloader. I know the Israelis did/do it but I'm not an Israeli.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

What's up my nigga's

What's up my nigga's

For every example of someone shooting themselves I would imagine there are what, 10,000 that didn't? It's really a tradeoff either way. Carry with a loaded chamber and you might be injured or killed. Carry with an empty chamber and you might be injured or killed. Either way your death or injury will be due to your own decision.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-21-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    For every example of someone shooting themselves I would imagine there are what, 10,000 that didn't? It's really a tradeoff either way. Carry with a loaded chamber and you might be injured or killed. Carry with an empty chamber and you might be injured or killed. Either way your death or injury will be due to your own decision.
    The way I see it unless someone's got a gun on you which your not just going to wip your gun out quick anyway. Because you will be shot. It's just as easy to rack your gun coming out of your holster then to have one in the pipe. Unless your rocking a revolver
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    The way I see it unless someone's got a gun on you which your not just going to wip your gun out quick anyway. Because you will be shot. It's just as easy to rack your gun coming out of your holster then to have one in the pipe. Unless your rocking a revolver
    I don't see how needing two hands to make your weapon ready to fire is a benefit when your life in on the line but as I already said it's a choice and neither is 100% perfect. I mean when you get down to the real odds of shooting yourself or getting killed because you had an empty chamber are probably even smaller than ever even needing a firearm to defend your self. Safest bet is really to leave it home in the safe. That's the choice most make.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast