Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Posts Disappearing?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post New Posts Disappearing?

Today, 09-30-10, I've noticed that once I've read a new post it automatically 'marks itself read'. Before I would click the 'New Posts' button and see all the new posts since the last time I looked. Then I would have to click the button 'Mark All Read' to clear them out as new posts. Now that seem to be getting done automatically each time I read a new posts. Is this what is suppose to be happening?

Thanks, Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I noticed that is morning.I figured something glitched on my end.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Same here, responded to Tony Curtis's Passing and it dissappeared!

censorship
    Attitudes change quick when dicks are involved and faces are pushed into pillows.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
    censorship
    TURD! LOL!
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

just now, ive noticed it acting funny too, on a thread ive posted in before, i click on the "go to first new post" button and go to posts ive read yesterday or before.

Yea, I started a thread a few hours ago and it did show up on the what's new page.
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

the "new post" button instead goves you "unread posts"

example, click new posts and look at whats there, read one of them, then hit new posts again. its gone. instead of showing the thread in std font and unread new in bold font, it dissapears instead.

Ok, I made a change that set it to database forum marking, which was automatically done..

Here were the options, originally #1, I set it to 3 which probably caused your issues. Now its set to #2:

#1 Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

#2 Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

#3 Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

Thanks GNA!

BTW, thanks for both being pro-active, letting us know what's going on and being there when an issue arrises.

Thumbs up

Alex, thanks for taking care of this!

Steve

No problem... sorry about that. In my quest for a fully optimized server with correct reporting (user counts, posts, server side optimizations etc), this one change was quite noticeable.. LOL.
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnetadmin View Post
    No problem... sorry about that. In my quest for a fully optimized server with correct reporting (user counts, posts, server side optimizations etc), this one change was quite noticeable.. LOL.
    If is not broken,don't try to fix it.Thanks for getting it out of fubar mode for us.

Thanks for the fix. I thought I was having "upgrade" flashbacks!
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Post are still disappearing from the "New Posts" option.I can find them when using the portal tab.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Post are still disappearing from the "New Posts" option.I can find them when using the portal tab.
    are they just "gone" from the site, or they are there, but appear marked as "Read" already?
    -=Alex=-

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnetadmin View Post
    are they just "gone" from the site, or they are there, but appear marked as "Read" already?
    They appear marked as read.Before they would remain under the new post tab even after reading.

a couple of posts up you'll see the options I have.
    -=Alex=-

I think I would prefer #2. Just my $0.02.

Steve

What Steve said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast