Thread: Bought another SKS. This time a 52 Tula

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Bought another SKS. This time a 52 Tula

Last week when I was visiting the inlaws in Moncton, I stopped into one of the gun shops to have a look. They had a crapload of 91/30 and SKS, some Russian capture K98, a Swiss K31 and a Ton of Norinco Chinese stuff. The 91/30s were $149 and the SKS were $160. I was bored to death because of the week long visit so I had a weak moment. The shop owner let me dig through all the SKS he had and pick one. (there were a lot) So i did and took about an hour scrutinizing them. I wanted a 52 because thats the year my mother was born and i was hoping for a run on serial number. I got the year and a good serial number. All in all nice rifle. Bore and action are like new. Stock is a solid piece of Arctic Birch, not laminated or multiple chunks glued together like i have see. All the numbers match except the mag. They were all like that for some reason. Came with a sling, the buttstock cleaning kit thing, 5 stripper clips, an ammo pouch and oil bottle. Probably going to leave it in the box and put it away as I already have a user SKS... A 1968 chinese military one.

Here are some pics.

Last edited by rci2950; 07-30-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Good looking rifle!

I really wish we could get Ruskie SKS rifles for that cheap down here. You could never sell any 91/30 rifles in America with a $160 SKS sitting next to it. You can bet that if I was a Canadian I'd have a SKS collection.

Hmmm, I wonder how many Russian SKS rifles a snub nose S&W would be worth....
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Is it allowed to have a ten round magazine because it is non-detachable?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    You could never sell any 91/30 rifles in America with a $160 SKS sitting next to it
    People around here like them both the same. I actually prefer my 91/30 over an SKS if i am going for a stroll in the backcountry. It just feels better to me and i prefer that added punch of the long barrel and heavier cartridge.

Is it allowed to have a ten round magazine because it is non-detachable?
    Nope it is discreetly pinned to 5.

I wonder how many Russian SKS rifles a snub nose S&W would be worth....
    A box of them

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

A Tula if I remember my markings right. You are going to at least clean it up right?

Shame you can't send me a few of those. Just wright "auto parts" on the box, lol.

Nice rifle. I've had a few norinco's but never a russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    A Tula if I remember my markings right. You are going to at least clean it up right?
    i was actually considering just leaving it stuffed with cosmo since i am not going to use it. The thought crossed my mind to put it away in the box with all the accessories as purchased and save it for my son for when he is grown and trust worthy. (he is 9 months old now) So the cosmo should preserve it better in the long run if left alone and it will give him the opportunity to see what that crap is like. because in 20 years all the cosmoline coated surplus will be gone. It will probably be the last one still greased up.

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    Shame you can't send me a few of those. Just wright "auto parts" on the box, lol.

Nice rifle. I've had a few norinco's but never a russian.
    it is a shame. they are as common as fence posts here.

The Chicom SKSs are totally underrated by most people -- in particular ar-15 gun snobs. With mine I can hit a groundhog 2 out of 3 times at 200 yards with stock sights. The only other SKS I have shot is a Yugo, which seems heavier, is less accurate, and (the one I shot) did not have a chrome lined barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    The Chicom SKSs are totally underrated by most people -- in particular ar-15 gun snobs. With mine I can hit a groundhog 2 out of 3 times at 200 yards with stock sights. The only other SKS I have shot is a Yugo, which seems heavier, is less accurate, and (the one I shot) did not have a chrome lined barrel.
    Yep. Because it cost under $200 when their precious AR with all the tricks cost thousands.
    Last edited by rci2950; 07-30-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I'd love having another Russian and in that nice of shape! Nice rifle!
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Yep. Because it cost under $200 when their precious AR with all the tricks cost thousands.
    I got to read the first post, before the edit.
    Be glad you changed it, northy. You get them AR fans fired up and thing could get ugly.

What is the round limit on the AR mags?

I have both and love both.

But I guess ARs would be less appealing if they were limited to only five rounds....

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    damn straight and THEY do have a lot of dogs and ponies for those rifles.
    thanks for sharing the pics and it might not be a bad idea to put it away for your young lad.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    I got to read the first post, before the edit.
    Be glad you changed it, northy. You get them AR fans fired up and thing could get ugly.

What is the round limit on the AR mags?
    yea almost let it slip out that time. Sometimes my AR-15 buddies get me fired up with how awesome they are. One even held my SVT-40 and went on about how he can't shoot anything with a stock like that (no pistol grip). Yes the mags are limited to 5 on an AR like everything else. In addition to that they are legally restricted to only be able to be used at a gov approved club. So no woods walk-a-bouts with them. A rifle or shotgun is no good to me if i can't shoot stuff other then paper with it.

Edit: The AR-15 to me has almost taken the same place as Facebook has in my life. Never had it and because i hear so much yapping about it i am going to try to go the rest of my life without having it.
    Last edited by rci2950; 07-31-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Sweet looking SKS. Just sold my 51 Tula refurb. I think I paid $109 for it back in the '90s. Kinda wish I didn't sell it now!