Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite SKS

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Favorite SKS

Out of the four I have, Albanian, Norinco, Yugo 59/66 and Russian I like the Albanian the most. It was fairly rough compared to the others when I got it but after some TLC it didn't look half bad. Not sure what it is about it that puts it above the others, the AK style bolt handle and the upper handguard give it a different/unique appearance but other than that it's still pretty much like any other SKS. I just like it.

Anyone else got a particular favorite?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The only one I have is a norinco. I love it though. Accurate little rifle! And I would like to see a pic of your Albanian if you don't mind sometime brother.
    What's up my nigga's

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Only one I have is a 1958 Romanian. I've come very close to buying several Ruskies and a few Yugos, but never did.

The Romanian fits in well with my collection, as my Romanian firearms now compose their own sub-collection.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

All I have left are 2 Norinco Paratroop models. I love the shortness of them, but wish they would accept AK drum mags...
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    The only one I have is a norinco. I love it though. Accurate little rifle! And I would like to see a pic of your Albanian if you don't mind sometime brother.
    I'll post some pics this weekend.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've owned; Russian, Yugoslav, Romanian and an Albanian. The Russian (laminated stock) was the best looking. The Albanian was the most different looking and it was the most accurate. It was the last to go, but gone they all are.

i had an sks from everywhere except N.korea and the Albanian was my favorite as well.

If I ever ran across another one at a decent price I wouldnt hesitate to buy it.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I'll post some pics this weekend.
    Thank you!
    What's up my nigga's

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Norinco. for sure
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Here are some photos of my Albanian.

Here it is in a group photo with my Yugo 59/66, Norinco and my Russian 1952 Tula refurb.

USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

By the way, anyone know what an Albanian would sell for today? IIRC I got mine from AIM back in the day for around $180.00. It needed a bit of sanding and I used some cold blue on the receiver cover and mag housing. Looks 100% better than when I got it.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

By the way, anyone know what an Albanian would sell for today? IIRC I got mine from AIM back in the day for around $180.00. It needed a bit of sanding and I used some cold blue on the receiver cover and mag housing. Looks 100% better than when I got it.
    It would be about the same price. Maybe a little cheaper due to the times. But I tell you what. I will give you 200 for it today only. I'll even cover shipping. LMAO. I don't know what there going for now days but here lately I've seen norinco paratroopers for around 650 and the standard for around 300 to 600. So I'd say somewhere in the region one of these numbers.
    What's up my nigga's

other than collectors.

as a regular 762x39 rifle they are regarded as a piece of shit ( little do they know)
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    It would be about the same price. Maybe a little cheaper due to the times. But I tell you what. I will give you 200 for it today only. I'll even cover shipping. LMAO. I don't know what there going for now days but here lately I've seen norinco paratroopers for around 650 and the standard for around 300 to 600. So I'd say somewhere in the region one of these numbers.
    Yeah, I saw a type D SKs the other day, I think that's correct, it's the one that takes AK mags. Anyway the LGS had something like $650 on it and they had a Russian for around $500 as well. My Norinco in the photo was a present from my wife. Local pawn shop had it for $180.00. The Russian was a police evidence sell off I picked up for $217.00. The Yugo was one of the first ones brought in by I/O in late 2001. I paid $300 for it and later on they had unissued ones in the teak stock for less. I've not seen many of them with the honey blonde stock. The ones I have seen are like mine in that they have the teak upper handguard. I've never seen one with both the stock and upper in the same blonde wood.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

IIRC,, AIM had a few not too long ago and they were $350-400.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    IIRC,, AIM had a few not too long ago and they were $350-400.
    Are you talking about the Albanian or the Yugo? I seem to recall the Unissued Yugo's with the nice teak stockset running as low as $180 or so at one time.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

....at one time.
    That time would be about ten years ago.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    That time would be about ten years ago.
    I know. Seems like yesterday though don't it? Wish I had kept a bunch of back issues of Shotgun News and all those AIM flyers I used to get in the mail.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

They had a few Albanians in that price range.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    They had a few Albanians in that price range.
    Thanks. I just pulled my old bound book from my C&R days. Got my Albanian from AIM on 8/15/02. Found the receipt too, $229. Thought it was $180 so I was off a little on the price. Still not a bad deal.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast