Thread: Love those Finns

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up Love those Finns

I've got an Unissued Finn potbelly 91/30 and a VKT M39. IIRC the M39 was from the old Burns Brothers and cost me a whopping $60 as a VG condition rifle (found my original receipt for the M39. It was $90 not $60. Still a very good deal). Shoots as well or better than modern rifles that cost 10x as much. I've left the 91/30 as it since it has not been fired since it was refurbished. The M39 however gets a trip or two to the range each year. I've still got a little bit of the 7N1 sniper ammo that was imported a few years ago. Ended up selling several cases of it but never got to shoot any myself. Not sure if my old M39 will shoot much better with it but thought I'd try a little comparison next trip to range and see how the 7N1 does against some standard Russian LPS.

Anyone else a "Finn Fan"?

Here's some pics of my potbelly 91/30

Hang tag

Last edited by Richard Simmons; 08-12-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I don't own any Finn's, but I like them a lot. I think they look way better than most Russian rifles.

I have always wanted one, but I never could justify the price.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    I have always wanted one, but I never could justify the price.
    I know what you mean. At one time I had two M27, an M24 and several M91's. All Finnish. I also have a Winter War capture marked 91/30. Least that's what I've heard the 42 stamp is supposed to represent. It's probably my favorite as it really looks like it's been there, done that.

The M27 was/is probably my absolute favorite Finn Mosin Nagant. At least as far as looks go. The Finn 91's are pretty attractive too. If you can find one in a nice Finn fingerjoint stock with the sling hangers it just looks like a piece of art. Had 3 or 4 and sold them all. Wish I'd have kept at least one. Used to be I could run across a Finn or two at dirt cheap prices since most stores just lumped them into the old Russian rifle category. Now days even those old Russian rifles cost a lot more than they used to and folks have gotten better informed about the Finns than they used to be.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 08-11-2014 at 07:27 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Had a 27 Bicycle Trooper model, couple of M39's and a Tikka 91-30. Plus numerous Russian versions. I miss the M39 the most, damn it was accurate and quite a looker.

I have a Finn "sneak" with a 1968 marked barrel. Excellent trigger and sights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I have a Finn "sneak" with a 1968 marked barrel. Excellent trigger and sights.
    Nice.

I remember when this place had a lot more for sale then they do now. Prices are a lot higher but I still think the Finn Mosin, especially the M39 has some of the best looking stocks of any Milsurp rifle with the exception of some of the Lithgow Enfields.

http://gunsnammo.com/
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068