Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you could have one knife to survive with, what would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post

Gerber LMF II.

Perfect size/weight, great scabbard, Made in the USA. It would be hard to not take this with me should the crap slap the oscillator.
    Same choice as me. I love mine!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    You as well my friend!
    Nope, still down here in the giant hair dryer that is Phoenix...
    These summers are getting unbearable....
    Yeah, Texas is hot but nothing compared to Phoenix in the summer... well, if its still in the plans, I hope you make it up there soon!

------

Back to the survival knife - I still think that the basic idea/concept of the Rusky bayo is sound. Knife, electric fence cutter, root saw and its a bayo! The only complaint that I have is the noisy scabbard hanger... well, that and the blade's only beveled on one side... but an improved version would be the knife of choice if your toting an AKM. Maybe Blacksmith can cobble up an improved version!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Hunting: Gut hook (for deer) self made for larger game.
    Carving/skinning: teton
    Self Defense: Make my own.
    Wood: bill hook or Hatchet (use to be a Broadaxe)

There is no "one" do it all knife. It would be too heavy to use.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    There is no "one" do it all knife. It would be too heavy to use.
    Exactly, you start getting carried away with the gut hooks and the saw edge and the serrated edge and the compass in the hilt and the remote control pocket in the sheath and you have something large and heavy but if you want to cut something you still need a knife. Keep it simple, knives are for cutting. I would sure hate to try and gun a squirrel with a Skatchet or a 14" long bayonet or clean a fish with the 10 1/2" blade of my bowie knife.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Exactly, you start getting carried away with the gut hooks and the saw edge and the serrated edge and the compass in the hilt and the remote control pocket in the sheath and you have something large and heavy but if you want to cut something you still need a knife. Keep it simple, knives are for cutting. I would sure hate to try and gun a squirrel with a Skatchet or a 14" long bayonet or clean a fish with the 10 1/2" blade of my bowie knife.
    O.G. you're funny.
    Every blade I have is well used, so it's easier for me to make my own sometimes.
    A knife mainly has 3 uses: stab, chop, slice
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post

A knife mainly has 3 uses: stab, chop, slice
    carve, shave, chip, gouge, fillet, skinning, scare the neighbors.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Great kinfe! K-Bar KBD1. Figures though they stop making it.

http://www.tomarskabars.com/1273_INFO.html
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    carve, shave, chip, gouge, fillet, skinning, scare the neighbors.
    Haa... I gotta take a pic of one of my hunting knives.
    My old neighbors always complained about it when I use to hunt.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Too much?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post

Too much?
    Does it come in something other than red?
    I don't look good in red.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Does it come in something other than red?
    I don't look good in red.

The devil wears red.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    you should ad "butcher a deer with a leatherman" to that list, take a wild guess how I figured that out....

McGuyver mode on a deserted island like Tom Hanks in "Castaway".... I'd have to go with a multi-tool w/ blade...

Zombie Apocolypse, I'd have to go with a M16 bayonet to compliment my survival gun as stated above...

Camping.... I've always wanted one of those Rambo Knives that's hollow to keep some fishing line, hooks, matches, etc...

So, survive what contingency?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    McGuyver mode on a deserted island like Tom Hanks in "Castaway".... I'd have to go with a multi-tool w/ blade...

Zombie Apocolypse, I'd have to go with a M16 bayonet to compliment my survival gun as stated above...

Camping.... I've always wanted one of those Rambo Knives that's hollow to keep some fishing line, hooks, matches, etc...

So, survive what contingency?
    If you were camping on an island, your boat sunk stranding you and you found out the inhabitance of the island was zombies. which one would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    If you were camping on an island, your boat sunk stranding you and you found out the inhabitance of the island was zombies. which one would you choose?
    Okay... in the above scenario, forget the knife, I'm going with this:

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post

Basic, 4 1/2" heavy blade, nice handle to grip and a blade sharp enough to skin a shark or whittle me a bowl and spoon. I'd want a bucket full of heavy rocks and a big honking stick for zombies. I don't want to get close enough to use a knife. Bayonet is fine for trench digging to lay a trip wire or poking people you don't like and wish would stop bothering you but sucks as a utility knife. I've handled those Rambo knives. Had to wash my hands afterwards and prayed that the proud young hunter who was hunting deer with a AR15 and had a bayonet on his belt and that rambo knife in his boot never had to use it. What a cheap piece of dime store crap. The only thing that hollow handle was good for was to fill up with strong pain pills because if you had to survive in the woods with that knife you were going to need all of them.

Opinionated, who me?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

A lot of knives fall into the heroic fantasy category.

I have one of these:

http://www.suomalaiset.de/edc/puukko/sissi2.jpg

http://www.suomalaiset.de/edc/puukko/sissi3.jpg

It is a Sissi Puukko.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

What I've had for almost 20 years now... Back when they were semi-expensive. Cold Steel Recon Tanto...

And I've had this one just as long. Cold Steel SRK...

Last edited by RJ Shooter; 07-23-2010 at 10:46 PM.
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Recon Tanto is nice piece of steel.It has done all and more than was expected of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    What I've had for almost 20 years now... Back when they were semi-expensive. Cold Steel Recon Tanto...

And I've had this one just as long. Cold Steel SRK...

I prefer a knife without a hilt on the top.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast