Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could have one knife to survive with, what would it be?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

If you could have one knife to survive with, what would it be?

I think I would either make my own or go with Kukri/Parang of some sort.

What would be the knife of your choosing?

Sherman

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    If I could only have one it would be a leatherman wave, as I hate to go a day in "rule of law" without a multi-tool.

Hmmmm...

Survive, I guess that's the key word. For a guy on the job, yeah a multi-tool with a blade.

If we mean survive, without the help of normal support systems, then I'll go with my stag handled Cold Steel Trailmaster. Good for the woods & CQB. Besides, it's kewl.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I can see the advantage but I think I would rather have my tools separate. Mostly because half the time when I deploy my leatherman I pinch myself, well more than half the time and it just doesn't feel right in my hand. tough call but if I had to dump all knives but one I would be left with a fixed blade Buck 4 1/2" skinning knife on my belt. I use it for more things than I count, only my folding knives get more use but they don't cut as good as the buck. Smart money would probably go with a bigger knife but I can do things like skin a rabbit or fillet a catfish that I can't do with a larger knife.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I can and have made knives selling for up to 450 bucks. If you ask me a hi carbon steel that is cared for, kept sharp and gets oil, even if the oil comes from game you took.

To me a blade of no more than 6 inches and some wicked pointy like a caper to do fine detail facial skinning, so really that 6 inches is too big, as the whole might be just over 6, counting the grip.

A knife to me isn't for hack and slash if it is a tool. A knife like a dirk or a bowie are weapons, not really tools.

So if the knife is a cutting tool I want mine small, and then a axe for hack and slash.

I am not likey to come into chems where stainless and other nasty corrosive matter, other that salt water and clean fresh water, and oil will fix that.

A Rockewell of 58-62 suits me too, for the abilty to create sparks.

If it is a weapon I would like a grip that is sticky, maybe can deal with minor dc volts, but linemans liers would be a lot better. Still I would use a high carbon steel over stainless.

I just can't see me swimming in a pool of real nasty stuff and living lone enough to need a full blown anti corrosive blade.

Leatherman like knives are all stainless and I have a couple, they beat a swiss knife pretty well for turning allens. That whole problem is there is too many fasteners.

My main purpose for knives is cutting things neatly, and cleanly like facials cut on hides. I need a delicate accurate blade, not a clever.

So there is no one best over all knife and that's why i have many.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Pretty hard to beat. And it fits onto my survival gun too
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

swampdragon
    I already have this one...so I guess I'd stay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    If I could only have one it would be a leatherman wave, as I hate to go a day in "rule of law" without a multi-tool.
    I have a lot of very nice knives in the safe. But I’m going to second the leatherman wave. I survive every day with it and I could not imagine going a day without it.

Gerber LMF II.

Perfect size/weight, great scabbard, Made in the USA. It would be hard to not take this with me should the crap slap the oscillator.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I'm not really "into" knives, but I do have a big honkin Gerber bowie knife, a small two blade Case pocket knife, and a folding box cutter I use for everything.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    I'm not really "into" knives, but I do have a big honkin Gerber bowie knife, a small two blade Case pocket knife, and a folding box cutter I use for everything.
    I have 2 Gerber multi-tools that I really like.

I've boycotted Leatherman ever since they endorsed John Kerry.

Now if we are going strictly on the coolness factor, one of these should be sufficient

US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post

Gerber LMF II.

Perfect size/weight, great scabbard, Made in the USA. It would be hard to not take this with me should the crap slap the oscillator.
    I like it . Iis it worth the money or should I stick with the kabar tanto

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Gerber Multi-tool.
    Last edited by AKTexas; 07-18-2010 at 11:24 AM.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I couldn't pick just one. I'd have to have my SOG multitool, BKT Companion and Cold Steel Machete.

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post

Gerber LMF II.

Ive got this exact LMF...GREAT knife...

But if I had to walk my butt out into a shtf situation, I would choose a Gerber multi tool for sure.

I have 2 Glock field knives like these that I'm pretty pleased with.
    FBHO

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Uber - wondered when you would show up - welcome back. Did you make the move north to the land of Ruger and Wolf Publishing?

Oops - sorry, thread jack over.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Uber - wondered when you would show up - welcome back. Did you make the move north to the land of Ruger and Wolf Publishing?

Oops - sorry, thread jack over.
    You as well my friend!
    Nope, still down here in the giant hair dryer that is Phoenix...
    These summers are getting unbearable....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast