Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If you could have one knife to survive with, what would it be?

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Although weapons don't make a Warrior; the weapons have changed.

Swampy who on this beautiful Blue Planet would come crying to you?

Besides that mutant cat you have for an avatar.
    I'm a very sensitive and caring guy....lol.
    And what's wrong with my avatar?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    There is nothing wrong with your avatar. In fact I had something for supper that looked an awful lot like that for a few seconds after I put it in the wok.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Nothing, but it looks more to the open season varmint critter's side of things than anything else. lol

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    HA!!!!!!

And the crux of the Tueller doctrine is, the knife is ALREADY DRAWN AND OUT!

When both are in the sheath/holster, my bet is ALWAYS on the gun...
    True, but the Tueller drill says he will get there before the gun can be used. So, it sounds similar to football, there is no knife and very rarely if ever an accurate pass if the defensive player gets there first which we all seem to agree on. At least that is what I get out of it.

True, but the Tueller drill says he will get there before the gun can be used.
    And the courts agree with you too HDR, time and time again.

I saw Bob Taylor do a power throwing demonstration where he and a shooter had their backs to targets. Shooter had pistol holstered, concealed. Taylor had folder in rear pocket. High speed photography showed the knife into the target before the shooter got the first shot off. Besides, even if a guy can shoot the knife man, the knife man's momentum would carry him to the shooters guts.

I agree with you too. If the guy with the knife is standing within 21 feet, or laying prone within 7 feet, and he makes a dedicated move toward you, shoot him.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I'd rather have a gun than a knife anyday but that's just me.

I guess any good quality steel hunting knife would do, with a sharp edge. I have a 8" Buck I've had since the 70's which is a great, versatile hunting & camping tool. I have my old man's K-BAR and a Vietnam-era Air Force survival knife. All are dependable solid blades which have stood the test of time. I wouldn't feel undressed packing any of them.

And the difference in the Teuller drill and my 3 experiences was in the drill the gunner is under attack. It's also why I stomped my so called expert in the mud, he was demonstrating technique and I was attacking. The 3 dopes who pulled knives on me were trying to scare me, I don't scare nicely, I have a tendency to react and after its over do my scared reaction but at the moment I was busy. If they had just attacked me unprovoked I would have been in deep doo doo.

A navy buddy has the lower right quarter of his lung removed. He had just finished a football game as a wide receiver and had made a couple of nice catches that won their high school a conference championship. On the way to the locker room a lot of back slapping from the crowd and he never noticed a thing. Got his jumper off, felt the pain finally and realized he was bleeding. Some ass had stuck him with a long narrow blade and he never realized he had been stabbed. If it had been on the other side it could have easily gotten to his heart. They couldn't save that lobe of his lung and had to remove it. That is a knife attack.

Sister had a man report to ER complaining of a headache that started when he got off the bus and he stepped between a bunch of kids. He had a knife stuck in his head. He didn't know he had been stabbed. When I was reading about the history of Bellevue hospital there was an incident where a man came into ER complaining of back pain, they sent him to the back clinic. When he turned to leave they saw the knife sticking out of his back and they had to catch him and bring him back. I like my blades but I have this thing about people who stab other people...or threaten to stab other people. Gets me kind of owly.

Only funny stabbing is another navy buddy of mine who stabbed himself in the upper thigh 3 times in 2 days and got his knife taken from him by the corpsman. Then he was taken to the small stores and the clerk was told specifically by the corpsman that this man is not to be sold a knife. He was demonstrating his knife fighting technique he had learned from a booklet he had ordered from the back of a comic book. Nice guy and fairly bright but the common sense gene was missing. About 3" higher and he would have qualified for a skirt and he could have been a WAVE.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I'd rather have a gun than a knife anyday but that's just me.
    Me too, even better is both. As it takes a lot of practice, I am not a John Wesley Hardin; however, I am fairly quick with an edge. As a lot of places (stores, malls etc) deny us our Rights a knife is better than nothing. If you can fake out a limp well enough to carry a cane knowledge of stick fighting is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    II guess any good quality steel hunting knife would do, with a sharp edge. I have a 8" Buck I've had since the 70's which is a great, versatile hunting & camping tool. I have my old man's K-BAR and a Vietnam-era Air Force survival knife. All are dependable solid blades which have stood the test of time. I wouldn't feel undressed packing any of them.
    Sheath knives in the right spot are quick.

If not, a good quality folder. Knives have some things in common with pistols; proper hold, hand fit etc. Edge play is same as any athletic activity, speed, coordination, etc.

Paul says to tell you he was in a "knife" fight and at three feet, the knife [machete] lost and the punkin ball from a 12 gauge won, and it was not the highest gauge on site. Paul also says people who pull knives just piss him off. [He also likes this site and the multitude of intelligent conversations I share from here]

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Paul says to tell you he was in a "knife" fight and at three feet, the knife [machete] lost and the punkin ball from a 12 gauge won, and it was not the highest gauge on site. Paul also says people who pull knives just piss him off. [He also likes this site and the multitude of intelligent conversations I share from here]
    Ha!You have not been to the Roadhouse then?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

...Sheath knives in the right spot are quick...If not, a good quality folder.
    http://www.emersonknives.com/videos/CommanderOpen.MPG

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    It all depends on a lot of variables; for example if I am already aiming a shotgun or it is slung on my shoulder. At 3' if you are already aiming a gun at me there is no way I can beat you with hands, knife or gun which isn't aimed.
    Being ready to rock changes matters as compared to a total surprise.

Paul [as a police officer] warned the man, was swung on and his vest was cut across the chest from shoulder to belly. the second time he was swung on he raised gun and ended it .....................

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Ha!You have not been to the Roadhouse then?
    My baby sister don't need no roadhouse, behave AK.

THUCYDIDES.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    My baby sister don't need no roadhouse, behave AK.
    I'm not inviting her there.Just a heads up for her to avoid the dump.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Becker BK2 Campanion

https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...urpose/Utility

The scales are a slick on mine but I intend to fix that by stippling them with a soldering iron. Disregard the price in the link. You can find them for under $60 online and at that price they are a real steal of a deal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234