Thread: My Last Promotion

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

My Last Promotion

After 30 years and 6 months I have been promoted for the last time in the Navy. My next official personnel action will be when I retire in 4 and 1/2 years.

"Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Congratulations Commander!!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Stars and bars and scrambled eggs! Congratulations sir. I am certain your appointment is well deserved and well earned.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Congratulations. 30+ years is a heck of a long time. I am sitting at 14 years in the Army right now and trying to figure out if I have it in me to do at least the last 6. What kept you going? Why did you stay?

congratulations and thank you for your service!!

my wife said yea, that is exciting.
    Last edited by l921428x; 09-01-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Congratulations and thank you for your service!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Double post.
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Woogiebear View Post
    Congratulations. 30+ years is a heck of a long time. I am sitting at 14 years in the Army right now and trying to figure out if I have it in me to do at least the last 6. What kept you going? Why did you stay?
    I got out after my first 6 year enlistment. One of the things I learned while I was out was that the Navy was a job, and a job with very good opportunities (I joined at 18, right out of high school as an E3, promoted to E8, then earned a commission and I will retire as an O5, you won't find that kind of opportunity in many places), so I re-enlisted after being out for about 20 months. After that, the Navy kept offering me jobs that were challenging and where I knew I could make a difference. I had intended on retiring at 20 but kept sticking around for one more tour for the reasons listed above (challenging jobs where I could make a difference). Once I got past the first 20 years the last 10 years have flown by. And I wasn't sitting behind a desk either. I have 21 years of sea duty where I served on 9 ships (4 submarines, 1 cruiser, and 5 aircraft carriers), deployed 5 times for at least 180 days and once for just over 90 days, went on 5 TRIDENT deterrent patrols and spent an indeterminate time training for those deployments and patrols. It helped that my wife and daughter understood that I didn't do this for me but to keep them safe and free. It is not an easy life, but it has been a very good life.

Thank you for your service, you have done more than about 90% of America just by serving your first tour. Good luck on your decision and if you have any other questions feel free to send me a PM.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Congratulations and thank you. It is your sacrifice and the sacrifices of your brothers in arms that made this country great.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Question

Is it that hard to make Captian, and Higher? In 30 Years you just made it to 05(Unless you were Prior Enlisted) James Gavin was promoted to Brigadier General in WW2 at the Age of 38? I guess the Navy must be Top Heavy. In the top Ranks. If the Shit hits the Fan, could you still see Captain?
    Last edited by Hobe Sound AK; 09-01-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Congratulations and THANK YOU don't seem like enough after what you have done for us and this country!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Is it that hard to make Captian, and Higher? In 30 Years you just made it to 05(Unless you were Prior Enlisted) James Gavin was promoted to Brigadier General in WW2 at the Age of 38? I guess the Navy must be Top Heavy. In the top Ranks. If the Shit hits the Fan, could you still see Captain?
    I spent 15 years as an enlisted sailor before getting commissioned. I am too old to make CAPT. The military will make me retire at 35 years (required by law for O5s commissioned as I was) and I will not be eligible for the CAPT board until about 36-37 years. I am happy with where I am at, especially considering I did not think I would make it to E7!

The promotion timelines we work to would go out the window if something like WWII happened again. As people are killed off others are promoted to take their places, and when they are killed off others are promoted again. As new battalions are stood up and ships are built someone has to command them and direct them, so the promotions happen earlier. Personally, I hope that does not happen ever again. Realistically, it probably will, but it is never a good thing to have to promote people so fast.

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Congratulations on your promotion. You've put in a lot of hard work and deserve everything you earn. I know you'll do honor to the rank and congratulations again.

It was great seeing you F-T-F the other year when I was on my school's field trip to the Smithsonian. It was an honor buying you lunch. I hope you got to see the dinosaur hall before they closed it. It should be even better when it reopens.

Congratulations again! And thank-you for all you've done for the rest of us.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Congratulations and thank you.

Congrats !!!

That's a big ordeal.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

I see, I figured you had to have some Enlisted Time in those Years. all the best. Paul

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

A very heartfelt congratulations and THANK YOU for your service. I'm glad Obama didn't sour you on your commitment.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Congratulations!
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization