Thread: Tight fitting firing pin retainer?

Unhappy Tight fitting firing pin retainer?

I have a Century Arms M70 N PAP Yugoslavian AK-47. Since new I have only put about 200 rounds through it during my first trip to the range. I came home to clean it and decided to take the bolt apart to inspect it and had a lot of difficulty removing the firing pin retainer. The extractor pin came out easily by hand using the punch. I had to use the punch and a hammer to finally get the firing pin retainer out after soaking it in WD-40. It did not appear dirty or corroded at all. After cleaning all the parts and replacing the extractor, I cannot get the firing pin retainer back in the bolt. The extractor pin is in correctly, and the hole for the firing pin retainer is clear but I cannot get it in. I am afraid to use any force.

Is it possible that this is the wrong pin? The videos I watched on You Tube showed getting both pins out and back in using just the punch and hands.

It is almost like the retainer pin is too big.

Any help would be appreciated. I am tempted to buy a new firing pin retainer to see if it will go back in easier.

Thanks,

Jeff

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

I would suspect a burr on the end, possibly both ends, of the retainer pin. I would take an emery board or light sand paper and just hit the ends at an angle, as if you were trying to put a taper on the end of the pin, which really wouldn't hurt it if you did put a slight taper on it.

Also make sure that the hole is clean of burrs on both sides. While it is very hard metal, there is always a possibility of something very tiny hindering you getting the pin in, especially as tight as that pin is.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Welcome to the group, hope to see you in the other forums as well!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Welcome to Gunsnet. Not having that brand or model I can't say with 100% certainty the cause of your situation. Could be the pin as Nut has suggested. Is the hole actually the same size on each end? I have run into holes that looked to be straight through as you could shove a small punch clean through them. However upon close examination one end is smaller in diameter than the other. This keys the hole so that the pin is shoved in from one side only, and shoved out the way it goes in from the opposite side.