Thread: First Enfield

First Enfield

Not set up for pics,sorry. Markings as follows: 1) Barrel-3c 3b Canada cai st albs vt(Century) 2) Receiver-No4 mk1* Longbranch 1945 3) bolt 2L9555 4) Elev site-cm then a small k with a dash under it 5) bolt head- looks like a bomb x'ed out with a b next to it 6) wrist support-88L1264 7)various b markings,some in circle on different parts 8)no refurbish marks anywhere.
    Rifling is strong but the usual dark bore. Some of it cleaned out. Wood decent usual aged look. Gave it a clean and lube. Had the bolt apart also. Have not shot it yet.
    A few questions: 1) The x'ed out bomb means it was taken out of service? 2) Mag would not accept 10 rounds. I took it apart and some one, and for the life of me I don't know why, put about a half inch of styrofoam on the bottom of mag. Worked fine hand cycling rounds when I removed it. Any guess's? 3) Small hole in the receiver on the left side near chamber mouth. To vent gas if case ruptures? 4) bolt and receiver wrist support only parts with serial numbers but don't match. Someone replaced the bolt or was it done by Century?
    I like owning a piece of history. Hope it's a decent shooter. Thanks for any info.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Congrats! The mag was probably plugged to meet some kind of hunting regulation on magazine capacity.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thanks. By the way I p/u 50 rounds of Iraq ammo. Looked up the head stamp. A funny looking 2 with a triangle next to it and 1977 on the bottom. Hope it shoots ok.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Congrats on a nice rifle. That mag was blocked because it was a Canadian rifle before being brought into the land of shall not be infringed. They don't have a constitution to trample, so their law limits mag capacity without violating a supreme law of the land.

Sorry, just had to say it that way. Simply - Canadian import, mandatory blocked mag.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Not familiar with any Iraqi .303. I know there is Pakistani out there that is pretty crappy. Here's a little info I found on the Iraqi stuff.

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5786

http://dave-cushman.net/shot/303headstamps.html

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...?f=27&t=116944
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Sounds like a great rifle. I enjoy buying old, historical firearms as well. I know you said you can't get pics but I would really like to see what you got.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Sounds like a great rifle. I enjoy buying old, historical firearms as well. I know you said you can't get pics but I would really like to see what you got.
    I'm 67 and not too good with computers. My daughter was going to show me how but somewhere along the line I removed a my pictures folder which she needs to do it her way. I'm working on it.

By the way I see little drops of hardened cosmoline here and there like where receiver and stock meet for example. I was thinking of removing the the metal from the stock to clean and oil the underside. However, if it may cause problems in separating the two because of the hardened cosmo should I leave it alone? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Congrats on a nice rifle. That mag was blocked because it was a Canadian rifle before being brought into the land of shall not be infringed. They don't have a constitution to trample, so their law limits mag capacity without violating a supreme law of the land.

Sorry, just had to say it that way. Simply - Canadian import, mandatory blocked mag.
    Must be a dumb law. I could still get 9 in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Not familiar with any Iraqi .303. I know there is Pakistani out there that is pretty crappy. Here's a little info I found on the Iraqi stuff.

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5786

http://dave-cushman.net/shot/303headstamps.html

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...?f=27&t=116944
    That's the one but mine is copper jacketed.

By the way thanks for helping out. I just love the old classic look of metal and wood. Even hand guns like a nice revolver. I understand the better tactical advantage of AR's and Glocks for example. However, I do not find these black rifles and polymer pistols "pretty". They are pretty much generic looking to me. An older ss semi auto pistol with wood is nice also. Just my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    I'm 67 and not too good with computers. My daughter was going to show me how but somewhere along the line I removed a my pictures folder which she needs to do it her way. I'm working on it.

By the way I see little drops of hardened cosmoline here and there like where receiver and stock meet for example. I was thinking of removing the the metal from the stock to clean and oil the underside. However, if it may cause problems in separating the two because of the hardened cosmo should I leave it alone? Thanks.
    I am not sure that cosmo hardens, but some do not consider me to be well........

I used the sun to cook the cosmo out of some furniture I bought, worked great. set it out, wipe it off. then wipe it off, then wipe it off.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

hey bro your take is fine. I LOVE a nice wooden stock. I would not think that taking it down would hurt anything.
    if you apply gentle pressure it should come apart. cosmoline can be a pita. let us know.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Maybe not cosmo. Rifle does have a SLIGHT gloss finish. Maybe a light coat of varnish or shellac? If it was not put on at the factory whoever did it must have had the stock off as none of the metal has any overlap.

By the way thanks for helping out. I just love the old classic look of metal and wood. Even hand guns like a nice revolver. I understand the better tactical advantage of AR's and Glocks for example. However, I do not find these black rifles and polymer pistols "pretty". They are pretty much generic looking to me. An older ss semi auto pistol with wood is nice also. Just my take on it.
    I know what you mean. I have a Glock and an AR, but the firearms I like to just admire are the Garand, M-1 Carbine, an old Winchester '94, and my new over/under shotgun, each because of the beauty of the wood.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

I know what you mean. I have a Glock and an AR, but the firearms I like to just admire are the Garand, M-1 Carbine, an old Winchester '94, and my new over/under shotgun, each because of the beauty of the wood.
    When I go to a gun show I pass table after table displaying the ar platform. Sykes this. DPMS that. All looking about the same. Then I'll hit a surplus table. AK,sks,mauser,enfield,garand etc etc and those old girls do stand out. Within their own group they are the same but the diversity of all those old battle rifles and the stories they could tell is intriguing.

Something else I noticed. It looks like the muzzle was re-crowned. Looking at pics of other Enfields at the muzzle area it's finished different. More polished and the crown is recessed. Also the length of my barrel sticking out of the end cap is 2 5/8 inches long. Anyone know the correct length? I'm guessing 3in?

When I go to a gun show I pass table after table displaying the ar platform. Sykes this. DPMS that. All looking about the same. Then I'll hit a surplus table. AK,sks,mauser,enfield,garand etc etc and those old girls do stand out. Within their own group they are the same but the diversity of all those old battle rifles and the stories they could tell is intriguing.
    My wife is not a fan of firearms, and she does not like the AK. We were at a gun show a while back and I looked at an AK, with the magazine in, and she asked me why I was looking at such an ugly rifle. A few tables later she points out another AK, this one with no magazine installed, and says, look at that wood, that is a rifle you should be looking at buying. I should have taken her up on it instead of pointing out they were the same rifle!

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

My wife is not a fan of firearms, and she does not like the AK. We were at a gun show a while back and I looked at an AK, with the magazine in, and she asked me why I was looking at such an ugly rifle. A few tables later she points out another AK, this one with no magazine installed, and says, look at that wood, that is a rifle you should be looking at buying. I should have taken her up on it instead of pointing out they were the same rifle!
    Doh!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

My first Enfield... $200 otd from a pawn shop... Fun to shoot!
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post

My first Enfield... $200 otd from a pawn shop... Fun to shoot!
    NICE!!!!
    What's up my nigga's