Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CDC Chief Is A Certifiable Idiot

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

CDC Chief Is A Certifiable Idiot

No words can express the idiocy of the CDC's Chief, Tom Frieden.

If isolating countries that have ebola is "wrong," then why are people with ebola isolated? Don't the same rules apply? Do viruses play by a certain set of rules that I'm not aware of?

This man would give Idiot Joe a run for his money....and he's the Chief Doctor of the US....amazing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...usaolp00000592
    Last edited by alismith; 10-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I would say he is not an idiot - rather he is proof that liberalism is a mental disorder. With liberals ideology overrides critical thinking and also overrides the hardwired sense of self preservation that a successful species must have to survive.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Did you actually read the story? He said that isolating the countries (no one in or out) would be wrong because we need to send in people to those countries to help fight the epidemic there so it won't spread. He said nothing about letting people out, only health assistance in.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Did you actually read the story? He said that isolating the countries (no one in or out) would be wrong because we need to send in people to those countries to help fight the epidemic there so it won't spread. He said nothing about letting people out, only health assistance in.
    If they "isolated" the country, health workers would still be let in to help contain and stop the disease. They would be exceptions to the rule. I still contend he's an idiot (liberalism, or not) and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near any medical facilities, much less head the CDC.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

There's a version of this on Drudge where he asserts that blocking travel from Africa will just cause people to reroute through other countries and get here anyway
    CHOOT UM!

Maybe 0bama should bring every ebola victim to the US via military aircraft.
    You know, in the same sense he takes care of the illegals crossing the border.
    He could be President Eboma!
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    There's a version of this on Drudge where he asserts that blocking travel from Africa will just cause people to reroute through other countries and get here anyway
    Now that's a little different than just letting folks in. Then again, if someone has not been infected do you really want them to stay around so they can get infected? If they want to leave they will find away. If they can do some kind of tests before they leave and then quarantine them after they get to there destination that might work but probably better to keep them there.

It's one thing to contain everyone in a country with a large border but you also have to feed all those folks. With an epidemic running rampant things will shut down so basically you will have to secure the borders, quarantine the sick from the healthy and feed and house everyone. Can't really keep them in their homes if they are healthy and their neighbors are sick. Pretty big task but better to try it there than here.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

That is what already happened. The guy from Liberia routed through Germany to get here. Its simple... if you are from one of those countries we do it Ellis Island style. If you want to enter the USA you need to be checked out by medical staff upon arrival just like we did on Ellis Island 100 years ago and isolated if needed.
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail." ----- Jack Burton 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Phil125 View Post
    That is what already happened. The guy from Liberia routed through Germany to get here. Its simple... if you are from one of those countries we do it Ellis Island style. If you want to enter the USA you need to be checked out by medical staff upon arrival just like we did on Ellis Island 100 years ago and isolated if needed.
    I heard he flew from Brussels to JFK to Dallas but I'm not splitting hairs. The thing is we shouldn't have to worry about a guy from Africa coming here from another country outside of Africa. Those countries like Belgium or any place else should be screening anyone coming to their country even if just for a connecting flight to protect themselves. We have one confirmed case here that came from Liberia. Anyone see any reports of any other country getting any cases? I would expect countries like Belgium, France, etc. that had former colonies in Africa to start reporting cases or at least suspected cases soon. Of course the flip side is, if you think you might have been exposed you could figure your chances of treatment and survival are better here than some place else so get to America ASAP. The other issue as I see it is people getting out of places like Liberia, making their was to another country that isn't having an outbreak and flying in from there. Should still be screened but they could slip under the radar that way.

The more I think about it the only practical approach is to get this thing under control at it's source regardless of the cost though with something like this there shouldn't be a shortage of nations willing to help out.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Phil125 View Post

Hey, that was 100 years ago, this is a modern updated infection.
    CHOOT UM!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Maybe 0bama should bring every ebola victim to the US via military aircraft.
    You know, in the same sense he takes care of the illegals crossing the border.
    He could be President Eboma!
    I know you are being sarcastic, but I have to say, honestly, that may be the smartest thing I've heard you ever say. That would be the quickest and safest way to eradicate this outbreak.

The reason it's spread like it has is because of where it is.

Think about it, this guy likely got it from carrying a pregnant woman to an ebola ward, which then refused to admit her because it was full.

That would never happen in the US. There is no way a person potentially infected with ebola would be refused entry at a hospital, and just sent away.

Nor would the people who brought that person in not at the very least have given their contact info. Most likely they themselves would have been checked out by the hospital.

If we were to bring every potentially infected person here (likely well under 10,000) for treatment, this whole thing would be contained in a couple of weeks and eradicated in a matter of two months.

We are far safer with 10,000 being treated with proper protocols here, then with 100 being improperly treated in Africa.

I already pay for such things. eradicated? really?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I already pay for such things.
    So do I. Frankly, I'd much rather pay for something like that, than 99% of the other crap I pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    eradicated? really?
    Probably not off the face of the earth forever, but this current outbreak could be eradicated.

The real worry is half-assed measures give the virus time to mutate. In reality they almost force it to mutate. If a poor bleach cleaning only stops 98% of the virus on an object from being able to attach to cells, then the 2% that survived and did transmit are the most hardy and resistant virus.

That 2% will find other ways to mutate, longer incubation period, slower less severe initial symptoms.

Consider what it would have been like if we stopped Hiv in it's tracks 30 years ago. This is actually much easier, with a couple weeks those infected will either be dead or recovered, and within a couple months the last route of transmission, sperm (ebola can transmit via sperm cells for up to 2 months after the patient has recovered), will also be cleared.

If we try to ignore it, and do nothing over there, it will spread, it will mutate, and it will be much tougher to stop.

Granted it might be 10 years before it really gets bad for us here, but the idea is to end this strain now, rather than deal with what it turns into later.

I heard he flew from Brussels to JFK to Dallas but I'm not splitting hairs. The thing is we shouldn't have to worry about a guy from Africa coming here from another country outside of Africa. Those countries like Belgium or any place else should be screening anyone coming to their country even if just for a connecting flight to protect themselves.
    Yep - no need to worry. I'm sure other countries will do the right thing. Besides, not letting Africans come here is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    but this current outbreak could be eradicated.
    It could have been eradicated by keeping it in West Africa. If the cat is not already out of the bag it soon will be.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    It could have been eradicated by keeping it in West Africa.
    With a massive international effort it could have been stopped in west Africa.

If that had happened, and the response was near immediate.

But, West Africa doesn't have the resources to deal with it, so it gets done half-assed at best. The few medical personnel who do show up to volunteer help, but it's not nearly enough to cover it.

The idea of "quarantining" West Africa is ridiculous, impossible. At no point in history has anyone been able to prevent a large number of frightened people from migrating, particularly if they are poor and desperate.

If the cat is not already out of the bag it soon will be.
    It was out when the first person got sick, how well we address that issue determines how far out of control it gets.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Or they can just bypass the border crossing like so many seem to do. Or, they can say they are 14 and we will just take them to a shelter until their court date, 5+ years in the future.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I know you are being sarcastic, but I have to say, honestly, that may be the smartest thing I've heard you ever say. That would be the quickest and safest way to eradicate this outbreak.

The reason it's spread like it has is because of where it is.

Think about it, this guy likely got it from carrying a pregnant woman to an ebola ward, which then refused to admit her because it was full.

That would never happen in the US. There is no way a person potentially infected with ebola would be refused entry at a hospital, and just sent away.

Nor would the people who brought that person in not at the very least have given their contact info. Most likely they themselves would have been checked out by the hospital.

If we were to bring every potentially infected person here (likely well under 10,000) for treatment, this whole thing would be contained in a couple of weeks and eradicated in a matter of two months.

We are far safer with 10,000 being treated with proper protocols here, then with 100 being improperly treated in Africa.
    Did you miss what happened with the guy in Dallas?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

The idea of "quarantining" West Africa is ridiculous, impossible. At no point in history has anyone been able to prevent a large number of frightened people from migrating, particularly if they are poor and desperate.
    With air travel locked down, those "poor and desperate" people would have a hell of a time swimming here. And third countries in between don't matter, you still have to show a passport to enter and it doesn't magically change to the country in between when you passed through. If you've got a passport from a quarantined country, you don't get in. The only way would be to fly to Mexico and walk across, which presents two issues. First, healthy people have a tough enough time crossing - anyone weakened by ebola will die in the desert. Second, coyotes are not going to put themselves at risk handling possibly ebola infected travelers, and without a coyote they have zero chance of crossing successfully.

Medical care does not halt the spread of ebola, isolation of the infected (which isn't happening in Africa, the people are too goddamned stupid) and waiting for mutations to weaken the strain so the outbreak "burns out" (which is how ebola outbreaks have always ended in the past) halt the spread of ebola. West Africa needs to be isolated while we wait for this outbreak to burn out. It will eventually, even if only by killing everyone too dumb to set aside cultural norms and stop messing with dead relatives bodies.
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Did you miss what happened with the guy in Dallas?
    Possibly, what happened with the guy in Dallas?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast