Thread: swiss veterlli

swiss veterlli

There is a yearly antique show at the fair grounds coming up in Jan. One of the firearm sellers has a Swiss Veterlli in decent shape. I think it shoots the 10. something ammo. Don't know if it has been converted to centerfire (they were rimfire orig). He wants $200 but hasn't sold it and it's been a few years for sale. I'm thinking of offering him 100. Questions: 1) How expensive to convert to centerfire if it hasn't been done 2) if it has been converted where would one find ammo and how much might it cost. Even if I shot it only one time it may be a unique rifle to have. I'm sorry I have never really looked at it that close to have more info on it. Just what the seller told me. Anyone familiar with them? Thanks.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Had one years ago and sold it. Here is some info on one man's quest to load for his.

http://www.swissrifles.com/vetterli/article/

Info on converting to centerfire.

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Switze...iShooting.html
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Had one years ago and sold it. Here is some info on one man's quest to load for his.

http://www.swissrifles.com/vetterli/article/

Info on converting to centerfire.

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Switze...iShooting.html
    Thank you very much. The author in the first link thinks like I do about being able to shoot a firearm. As I don't reload or have the equipment to convert it to centerfire (if not already done) I will have to sleep on this one for awhile. I appreciate your effort.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

You're welcome. IIRC mine was the 69/71. Was at a gun auction and it came up for bid and no one would bid on it. Just to get the ball rolling when the starting bid got down to $35 I raised my hand. I was the only one so home it came. Seems like it was missing the cleaning rod and something else kind of minor. It was still set up for rimfire so I didn't do much with it but clean it real well and read up on it some. Seems like I sold it to a member here from Florida for around a $100 some time later, might have been a little less than $100. Still wish I could have fired it just say I did if nothing else. I've seen a few for sale locally over the years and they seem to be priced around $150 or there abouts. Must be a decent price as I don't recall seeing them the next time I was in the store.

Might check with Schuetzenman. Deane's has probably forgotten more about guns in general and old guns in particular than most of us will ever know. I'd almost bet if he hasn't shot a converted one of these he's probably seen one at one time or another or know someone who had.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 10-03-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Had this one in the top of the image. Sold it for $250, but it was very minty. Pristine bore, looked brand new. I figure it was an arsenal refinished rifle that had never been fired after rebuild. The rimfire 10 mm rounds are corrosive primed and most show at minimum some kind of frosting to light pitting. I didn't covert it before I sold it and primarily I sold it because I never could find a spare bolt to do the conversion to centerfire on. They use a .44 magnum cast lead alloy bullet and I seem to remember a .44-40 case modified. Because this rifle was in such good shape I didn't have it in me to alter it. You can't undo the conversion to center fire as you have to drill a hole in the bolt face for the new centerfire striker. They are black powder only grade barrels, to use smokeless in it risks destroying the weapon and eating a bolt in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post

Had this one in the top of the image. Sold it for $250, but it was very minty. Pristine bore, looked brand new. I figure it was an arsenal refinished rifle that had never been fired after rebuild. The rimfire 10 mm rounds are corrosive primed and most show at minimum some kind of frosting to light pitting. I didn't covert it before I sold it and primarily I sold it because I never could find a spare bolt to do the conversion to centerfire on. They use a .44 magnum cast lead alloy bullet and I seem to remember a .44-40 case modified. Because this rifle was in such good shape I didn't have it in me to alter it. You can't undo the conversion to center fire as you have to drill a hole in the bolt face for the new centerfire striker. They are black powder only grade barrels, to use smokeless in it risks destroying the weapon and eating a bolt in the face.
    This looks too involved for me. I'm gonna take a Pasadena on this one. You guys are very helpful with the less experienced making a bad choice for themselves. Thanks.