Thread: .22 Caliber Type Of Ammo?

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Question .22 Caliber Type Of Ammo?

HP,FMJ and which grain is best to have? Same goes for .22 mag.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

That depends on what you want to do with it. For varmint hunting in 22LR I like CCI velocitors, though I use a ruger 10/22 so you may get better accuracy with a bolt action. for plinking, CCI minimags are a pleasure though any bulk buy will work. Haven't tried the Winchester M22 but from what I hear its intended for guns like the 22LR AR rifles and the like, and works well in them. Thunderduds are named for a reason but they do sometimes work. 'Never personally tried the Aguila offerings but I know those who do use it and it's particularly dirty ammo. As for HP versus solids I can't say without know what you want to do. I've noticed that the higher velocity rounds do tend to have less that 40 grains of weight.
    But this is only my opinion and like any opinion it could be wrong. I am under no illusion that I am an authority, just a dabbler.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

CCI any type and Winchesters and Federal are good. Remington does have some turds they make Thunderbolts (a.k.a. Thunderturds) are very unreliable crap. I do like Remington Sub Sonics that are HP bullets in my suppressed Ruger Pistol. As Sergi stated what your intended use is tempers what is best. A good all around load are CCI Mini-Mags. Some say H.P. bullets but I've killed a lot of Squirrels and a few Rabbits with solid nose .22 L.R. solid lead rounds, 1 shot kills btw. SSI Stingers are great high speed HP rounds that shoot pretty damn flat.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

First off, with the .22 LR ammo shortage, any .22 ammo you can get is good to have.

As far as HP goes, I really haven't noticed much difference between them and RN bullets. I'm guessing if you hit soft targets, the HP won't open up that much anyway. Hard targets may get more drastic results.

As far as noticing a difference in performance, I have had good results with all of them. For small game, any LR bullet should be sufficient. For larger game, dog-sized or a little smaller, .22 Mag is reccommended.

Shorts and CB caps are great for rats.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars