Thread: Range report: Nikon M-223 2-8X Optic

Range report: Nikon M-223 2-8X Optic

Nikon has a line of scopes (M-223 series) which are calibrated for a .223 bullet drop at various ranges. I have the 2-8X32 scope with the Nikoplex (duplex) reticle mounted on a Robinson Arms M-96 with Burris X-treme Tactical rings. The ammunition was Federal 55 gr. FMJ (100 round .223 value pack from Walmart). The glass is from their Monarch line, and is very clear and bright even in low-light conditions. I originally wanted a 1-4X optic with illumination, but this one is clear enough even in low light that I don't have a problem seeing what I need to see. At 2X, close targets can be acquired quickly. The scope is about 15 oz, so it's not too heavy.

Instead of having MOA markings inscribed on the elevation turret, it is gauged with ranges in 50-yd. increments from 100 to 600 yards. If I want to shoot out to 450 yards, I just set the turret to 450. The elevation turret is calibrated for 55 grain bullet drop based on 3240 fps muzzle velocity. I tested it out this morning against steel plates at 300 and 400 yards, and it seems to be dialed in correctly. The only complaint that I have about this optic is that I can barely perceive just a touch of parallax at 100 yards. Maybe it's just me not finding a good place to weld my cheek? I consider myself more of an iron sight shooter, and this is my second scope with a magnified optic. After focusing on breathing and squeezing the trigger slowly, my best group @ 100 yards was about 2 inches at 8X.

Last edited by Uncle Scary; 10-03-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Nice, I just paid $50 for a similiar type scope for a 22lr. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your optic?

Rage

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    Nice, I just paid $50 for a similiar type scope for a 22lr. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your optic?

Rage
    $285 from red-dot-scopes.com

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Looks like its mounted a bit high? I only say that because of your cheek weld comment and I see the raised rail - those rings are intended to go on a flat top AR I would bet... you might try some low rings given the iron sight placement on that rifle...

With the scope that high, it would be very tilt-sensative and could cause larger groups.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Looks like its mounted a bit high? I only say that because of your cheek weld comment and I see the raised rail - those rings are intended to go on a flat top AR I would bet... you might try some low rings given the iron sight placement on that rifle...

With the scope that high, it would be very tilt-sensative and could cause larger groups.
    Thanks for the input. If I mount the scope any lower, it wouldn't clear the rear sight. The scope must be mounted over the rear sight for good eye relief. It's a tough mounting situation which could probably be remedied by an aftermarket cheek rest.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Ah yeah, see that now. Can't go back any further really either huh... hmm.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Ah yeah, see that now. Can't go back any further really either huh... hmm.
    Nobody tell Mrs. Scary that I propped my greasy rifle up against the furniture.