Thread: cordite

cordite

Any special cleaning technique for cleaning out cordite. Never shot it before. Have some S.African ammo marked as cordite. Thanks.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I used to shoot quite a bit of old Kynoch-manufactured British .303 that was cordite loaded. Even still have an empty box or two laying around I use for storeage. I never did anything special beyond using my Hoppe's solvent w/ patches & a copper brush, then a good coating of gun oil. The stuff I had was loaded in the late 1930's & early 40's, the primers had a distinctive purple sealing around them. Very high quality ammo, wish I still had a case or two in the ammo stash. It was mildly corrosive of course but I never let my guns sit uncleaned after firing them, so no problems.

DSCN1253.jpg This is the ammo. Only stumbled on 50 rounds. Head stamp has a U 41 so I suppose made in 1941

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

1941 means corrosive perchlorate primers. Best to use hot soapy water as the first clean up of the bore. Then dry it out and swap over to conventional bore cleaners. If you have Hoppe's Benchrest formula cleaner with heavy Ammonia in it, that can work as the initial and final cleaner. Oil well after finishing the bore cleaning and then keep an eye on it every day for the next 7 days. This is to make sure you didn't miss some of the salty primer residue and prevent it from rusting the crap out of your rifles bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    1941 means corrosive perchlorate primers. Best to use hot soapy water as the first clean up of the bore. Then dry it out and swap over to conventional bore cleaners. If you have Hoppe's Benchrest formula cleaner with heavy Ammonia in it, that can work as the initial and final cleaner. Oil well after finishing the bore cleaning and then keep an eye on it every day for the next 7 days. This is to make sure you didn't miss some of the salty primer residue and prevent it from rusting the crap out of your rifles bore.
    Thanks. That is what I do already if shooting corrosive ammo except for the hot part. I bring a spray bottle of soapy water or Windex w/ammonia and spray down the barrel,receiver, bolt when I'm done shooting at the range. When I get home I do a more complete cleaning. By the way the box states "non fouling" what does that relate too?
    Last edited by fez; 10-20-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: add