Thread: SAR-3 Wieger mag versus the new Romanian mag.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

SAR-3 Wieger mag versus the new Romanian mag.

Thanks to SilentKilla01 for being so generous as to send me a mag for my SAR-3. Turns out it is a Romanian copy of the German STG-940 Wieger mag.

Decided a few photos and making this a sticky were in order.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Excellent info. I knew we could squeeze a few more drops of knowledge out of this place before it croaked.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

'Nut, please take no offense...

The Romanian is not new, I acquired one back when the boards where down.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

New is a relative statement, considering how old the SGT-940 is. The rifle was produced just before the end of the divided Germany, putting it mid 1980s release. I believe the first of the Romanian hit the shores during the time frame you reference, around 2008. To me that is new as I have never used, owned nor seen one before today.

No offense taken, just depends on what your definition of new is.

Now since we got that out of the way. Let's see that bad boy in the gun!!!
    What's up my nigga's

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Just for my clarification... These are 5.56 mags that work in an AK platform? Will they work for all European 5.56 AK's? And just how easy to come by are they? I know the Weiger mags are supposed to be a pain in the ass to come by, and pricey.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Yes, the Romanian SAR-3 was designed around the STG-940 rifle family mag. They wanted to enter NATO and to show that they had a compatible rifle, they used the already approved .223 Wieger mag. As far as I know the SAR-3 and the STG-940 are the only AKM/AK-74 style rifle designed and able to use this mag.

There were a couple of made for USA rifles, the WASR-3 and PAR-3 that might use the Wieger mag as well. I have not physically held The WASR-3 but believe like the WASR-10 was imported with a narrow single stack mag well, which could be opened up, but to accept Wiegers? Also not familiar with the PAR-3, a pump-action AKM style designed to get around ATF unconstitutional bans.

I will post a photo of an SAR-3 with the new mag tomorrow as amazingly I do not have any photos of my SAR-3 with a Wieger installed.

I have a Wieger and a Romanian.

They both lock up in my SAM5, but I have never put any rounds in 'em to see if they actually function.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!