Thread: Got my first compound bow

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Got my first compound bow

Being a hunter from Ohio, bow hunting has pretty damn well always been the primary way to take a deer. I've always used a cross bow, but my grandpa just gave me my first compound bow today. I won't be using it this season, but do plan on practicing with it this up coming spring and summer to use it next season. It's a Hoyt Enticer Supreme with a 70 pound draw on it, which is a little bit of a strain for me ( I can hear you all heckling me now). I know there's a way to dial it back, but I'm not sure how. Taking about 10 to 15 pounds off would be nice. Anyone know how and or got anything I need to know to shoot it accurately? I doubt these have as straight of a trajectory as a crossbow.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Mostly the same tips as with a gun, but the follow through is really important with a bow. 70lbs is a little on the high side for a lot of people nowadays, but I'd like to get one in the 100 plus pound range someday.
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

When I first started shooting a compound bow it was 55lbs draw, I was maybe 14, at first I could pull it back maybe 2-3 before I needed a break, then 5, after a couple weeks I was putting 40, 50, and 60 yard pins on it and shooting for more than an hour solid. What I am saying is don't mess with your bow, 70lbs is high but if you can pull it back once that is good, if you have safe place to shoot daily even better, but if not just 20 or so times a day draw that bow and then let it forward slowly, don't release as it is bad for the bow to dry fire. With in a few weeks that 70lbs will not be anything. Once you can shoot it comfortably then work on accuracy, a kisser button is nice, pin sights are a must, I really like a mechanical release, it's easy on your hands for long sessions it also removes a lot of the bad input your fingers can expose the string to. Then just practice, if you hunt from stand, practice from a stand, etc.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    When I first started shooting a compound bow it was 55lbs draw, I was maybe 14, at first I could pull it back maybe 2-3 before I needed a break, then 5, after a couple weeks I was putting 40, 50, and 60 yard pins on it and shooting for more than an hour solid. What I am saying is don't mess with your bow, 70lbs is high but if you can pull it back once that is good, if you have safe place to shoot daily even better, but if not just 20 or so times a day draw that bow and then let it forward slowly, don't release as it is bad for the bow to dry fire. With in a few weeks that 70lbs will not be anything. Once you can shoot it comfortably then work on accuracy, a kisser button is nice, pin sights are a must, I really like a mechanical release, it's easy on your hands for long sessions it also removes a lot of the bad input your fingers can expose the string to. Then just practice, if you hunt from stand, practice from a stand, etc.
    Dead On!!!

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I suppose since I can pull it back as is (even if just barely) I can leave it. I'll Just make a daily work out out of it. It has a peep sight on the string and 3 fiber optic pins in the front sight. Once I can draw the string a few times I'll get to practicing with it. Figure out roughly where each pin is sighted in for and adjust them as needed. I don't have a mechanical release, but my brother does, I can always borrow his until I get my own. Hated, Cevulirn, thats for your input.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    I am not accurate at all with a release. MY fingers work much better. Don't know why that is, it just is. You need to find out what works for you. He is spot on about getting used to the pull strength though. When my shoulder starts hurting (Have a bad shoulder, pops out of socket around 10 times a year), I use the bow as a way to work it out while having some fun.

was_peacemaker
    A lot of guys in the compound world stick right there between 65-70 Ibs. Even a lot of guys drop game with less than that. Sometimes in the traditional archery side we will use heavier draws on bows to make up for the technological disadvantages. I have some old Hoyt compounds and they are really nice, even the old ones are still good shooters. As long as you have a good setup and some quality arrows you should be good to for for deer season.