Thread: Help me pick a romy ak-47

Help me pick a romy ak-47

So can't decide on which AK to pickup. Looking at the SAR1, N-PAP and the C39. I like the fact the C39 has a milled receiver. So outta those listed what do you guys recommend? Any of you guys own any of theses? If so can you tell me the pros and cons of them??
    Thanks!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Where you finding an SAR-1?

I have Romanians and the Serbian O-pap, which is similar to the N-pap except for its heavier receiver. I'm currently hot for the Serbians, but my SAR-1 is still a go-to-war rifle for me, and I would happily take a new WASR if thats what fit my budget.

My SAR-1:

As you can tell, the Romanians do a fine job of standing in for a Soviet AK if you're fine with the lower quality Romanian finish and having slightly lesser accuracy, which is not really my concern in 7.62x39. And I've never compared these for max accuracy anyway.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Also, I'm not personally interested in the C39 because it is US produced. There shouldn't be much wrong with that, but I'd prefer an imported model.

SAR-1 rifles rock. Its basically a WASR with a military style receiver with dimples. Not much of a difference, but it is more collectible.

The Serbian rifles are great, but the downsides are that they are heavier than Euro style AKs, and they have fewer aftermarket accessories because the pattern is different than the standard. For example, the only scope mount really meant for it is the RS model 310, and once you buy everything for it your up to $200 in just a side mount scope rail. The only aftermarket stocks are the ACE style units that do rock but cost a lot once you buy all the adapters you'll need, especially if you go with a folder. Mid-west industries does make a railed handguard if you're into that sort of thing.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Also, I'm not personally interested in the C39 because it is US produced. There shouldn't be much wrong with that, but I'd prefer an imported model.

SAR-1 rifles rock. Its basically a WASR with a military style receiver with dimples. Not much of a difference, but it is more collectible.

The Serbian rifles are great, but the downsides are that they are heavier than Euro style AKs, and they have fewer aftermarket accessories because the pattern is different than the standard. For example, the only scope mount really meant for it is the RS model 310, and once you buy everything for it your up to $200 in just a side mount scope rail. The only aftermarket stocks are the ACE style units that do rock but cost a lot once you buy all the adapters you'll need, especially if you go with a folder. Mid-west industries does make a railed handguard if you're into that sort of thing.

Actually the WASR is basically an SAR-1 but with an ATF approved single stack receiver. The SAR-1 was and remains the only true military issue AK variant that was imported into the land of shall not be infringed. It was and probably still is used by the Romanian soldiers in training before graduating to select fire.

Of the rifles you listed, only the SAR-1 is a Romanian. When they were being imported, people complained that the finish on the wood looked like brush painted lacquer, and might have been. The metal finish was not up to "American standards" which led me to tell a lot of people that if they wanted pretty, get a Weatherby. If they wanted the only true military issue AKM available here, get an SAR-1. The nice thing was that with a little elbow grease you could make the wood look as good as that Weatherby, and refinishing the metal was possible although you would loose that "used by soldiers" look.

I have an SAR-1 that I have fired over 13,000 rounds (lost count so stopped counting) and it still looks like it did when I bought it new. It is also very accurate for an AKM which was not designed for accuracy like that Weatherby.

The C39 is advertised and most likely is the first 100% USA AK style rifle. Most people who have one are very happy with it.

As said above, the O-PAP is Serbian, but still a very nice rifle.

If you find a nice SAR-1 and the price is right, I would recommend buying it as they have more than doubled in value in the last 10 years, and with the import ban on them, value will only go up, even on used rifles.

ATF decided that they violated the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment and banned from importation. Originally they were imported as delivered to the Romanian military, and Century removed several parts and replaced them with the required number of USA made parts to meet the 10 part maximum imported parts in the rifle to be legal based on the new second amendment. ATF decided that the rifle had to be imported meeting the sporting purpose clause which led to their banning further imports of the SAR series.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Where you finding an SAR-1?

I have Romanians and the Serbian O-pap, which is similar to the N-pap except for its heavier receiver. I'm currently hot for the Serbians, but my SAR-1 is still a go-to-war rifle for me, and I would happily take a new WASR if thats what fit my budget.

My SAR-1:

As you can tell, the Romanians do a fine job of standing in for a Soviet AK if you're fine with the lower quality Romanian finish and having slightly lesser accuracy, which is not really my concern in 7.62x39. And I've never compared these for max accuracy anyway.
    Great looking rifle! It's actually an wsar and not sar-1. Misread the ad on the website

Thanks guys for the input and the replies. After rereading the ad on the web I see the Romy model is a WSAR and not the Sar-1. But as far as that goes there seems to be a lot of aftermarket stuff for these rifles as opposed to the N-pap and C93s. Thanks again for the info!

Well today on the way home from work I stopped by the gunstore. He had 2 WASR's on the shelf. I looked them both over really well. I bought one of them. The finish was amazing on the rifle. The sights were not canted as well as the gas block. Came with all the goodies. It was $499 plus tax. That is the best price I could find anywhere. Just need some time to go out and fire her for awhile. Super excited. Looks good sitting next to my Norinco in the safe! Thanks again guys for the info. For that price I couldn't say no.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    That is a very good price for a WASR these days. Being able to check it over before buying was a big plus, CONGRATS!!!

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

You won't be disappointed. I do recommend dry cycling the bolt by pulling the charging handle and finding any rough patches that seem to catch and or grind on your BCG and very lightly buffing out any burrs you find with a very fine file or polishing stone and some scotch brite (by hand, don't touch anything with a dremmel or die grinder). The burrs won't hurt the immediate function of your rifle, but getting rid of them will smooth out your action, and could save from over time causing some excessive wear. On my WASR I had a spot on my dust cover slightly snagging and grinding my charging handle, and a spot inside the receiver that looked as though it had been dinged with a file at the factory or at Century that seemed to be rough on the BCG.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

I really like my SAR-1 a lot).

видеодон