Thread: Anyone recommend a gunsmith in Marietta GA who has corrected a front sight cant?

Question Anyone recommend a gunsmith in Marietta GA who has corrected a front sight cant?

Hi Guys,
    New to your board. I have a Yugo underfolder with a serious front sight cant. With the FS as far over as it will go, the shots are 1.5 inches off to the right at 25 yards. I took it to a reputable gunsmith at Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, and not once but twice claimed he had fixed the gun and each time it came back looking and shooting just like it went in..... far off to the right. Can anyone recommend a Marietta, GA or North Atlanta Gunsmith who as done one of these corrections properly? I understand that the pin needs to be driven out, lined up, redrilled and oversized pin hammered in place. Maybe even a bit of weld in the old crease so it won't walk back. At any rate, thanks for your thoughts and recommendations. Paul

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I would just knock the pins out, tap the sight base with a mallet, and drive the pins back in. No need for resizing the hole and oversizing the pins and all that crap.

EDIT: Follow the superior advice given by other members in this thread. Looks like you will have to drill.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 11-19-2014 at 08:54 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

welcome to the board Ga. boy. good luck.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I would just knock the pins out, tap the sight base with a mallet, and drive the pins back in. No need for resizing the hole and oversizing the pins and all that crap.
    Thanks for the encouragement for a little DIY. What kind of tool do I need to drive the pin(s) out and who might have one?
    I am suspicious that this is what the gunsmith did to whom I took it. I remember him stating when I took it back to him for the second "fix" .... "it must have slipped back to where it was." But I guess the worst that happens is that I can't fix it myself and have to try to find someone who can. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    welcome to the board Ga. boy. good luck.
    Thanks! Paul

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

I have straightened more than a few, and it really is not that hard.

First you need a punch that is a bit smaller than the diameter of the cross pins. Also a pointed punch to get the pins moving in the first place as it is easy to bend the punch that you will use to get the pins out. I also recommend a punch holder so that you can hit the punch without worrying about taking out a finger or your hand.

I use a piece of 2x4 with a hole drilled in it so that when I knock out the pins, they drop into the hole and don't get lost. Also, don't put the block of wood on a bench as even the best bench will absorb most of the hammer blows. I put the wood on the floor in my garage, then stuff rags under the rifle to keep it straight and safe.

After getting the pins out, tap the front sight straight, then using a drill that is the same size as the pins as a reamer, run it through the cross pin holes to allow you to reinstall the original pins.

Good luck, although this may be obvious to you I have to say it anyway. Take your time, think about what you are going to do before you do it, and go slow. When you are done you will be able to pick up the rifle and be proud of what you did that the so-called gunsmiths couldn't do.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shovel99 View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement for a little DIY. What kind of tool do I need to drive the pin(s) out and who might have one?
    I am suspicious that this is what the gunsmith did to whom I took it. I remember him stating when I took it back to him for the second "fix" .... "it must have slipped back to where it was." But I guess the worst that happens is that I can't fix it myself and have to try to find someone who can. Paul
    I used the pin punch from the AK standard issue cleaning kit to knock mine out. Used a couple big C clamps and a few scrap pieces of wood to secure the rifle to a picnic table, in lieu of a gun vice. Then just tap them out.

All I was doing was threading the muzzle and adding the spring and detent. If you have bad cant, maybe it does need drilling. But I wouldn't think so.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shovel99 View Post
    Doing the pins out thing won't work because there should be grooves in the barrel that the pins fit in. Knocking the pins out, straightening it up then drilling for a next size up pin and using larger pins will fix this sort of situation. Most AK pins are in damn tight, usually it is easier to cut the sight off with a dremel tool and then install a new one than it is to get pins out of an existing front sight.

Ah I should read all the posts. I see ImanAKnut gave you good advise already.