Thread: GP-1975 Doubling ??

GP-1975 Doubling ??

I was at the range yesterday with one of my GP-1975 Romanian AK's, when it started double firing every other magazine or so. Never more than 2 rounds at a time however. I was shooting Herter's steel cased ammo which ran fine. Zero misfires, FTF's or FTE's. The gun is factory stock. I've never messed with it. It has a Tapco trigger group. It did it with both a Bulgarian and a Tapco 30 round magazine. Trigger pull was normal, good and consistent. Not excessively light.

Also, I was getting a lot of trigger slap. Almost to the point of it being painful at times. Any idea what's going on? Has anyone else ever experienced this? I've got 11 AK's of various types, including 4, GP-1975's, and this is the only one that has done this.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    First, trigger slap is due to the design of the AK trigger group, and occurs when tolerances add up wrong. It is caused by the disconnector hitting the cross bar on the trigger (the part between the arms that the hammer spring sit on). Sometimes it happens immediately, sometimes after many rounds being fired.

As the carrier comes rearward after firing, it pushes the hammer into the disconnector which itself is pushed down until it's retainer catches the hammer. If tolerances are just right, the bottom of the disconnector hits the trigger, slamming it forward just a bit, but hard enough to really hurt your finger. It is an easy fix, just remove the disconnector, note the shiny spot on the trigger cross piece that was taking the pounding, and grind off a bit of the bottom of the disconnector that has been hitting it. Be careful not to take too much off as the spring pocket is in that area.

It is possible that the slap is telling us that the hammer is being driven into the disconnector so hard that it is popping out causing the second round to be fired, or the disconnector or hammer is worn enough that it isn't always caught on the first try. Why it is only doubling is a good question, but just be glad you caught it before someone who doesn't understand "shall not be infringed" calls the federal infringement organization. Personally because of the double firing, I would replace the whole trigger group which should also take care of the trigger slap.

Sad thing is any AK variant can have slap. Century was notorious for using bad trigger parts before going to the Tapco group which caused many people to complain about trigger slap. Normally the Tapco parts fixed it, but they too are still not immune if all the numbers add up wrong.

crappy disconnector spring.

IMHO, ditch the FCG and buy a tapco G2 set.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    crappy disconnector spring.

IMHO, ditch the FCG and buy a tapco G2 set.
    He said he has a Tapco set. Is there a "G1" as well as the known G2? Not familiar with Tapco after they decided that we the people could not buy from them directly.

is the disconnector tapco??
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've seen this happen from a slow gentle trigger pull. Sometimes disconnector springs wear out as well. Sar-2 rifles were more prone to doubling due to a slow light trigger pull vs. a decisive firm trigger pull. Almost a bump-fire effect you might say.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I've seen this happen from a slow gentle trigger pull. Sometimes disconnector springs wear out as well. Sar-2 rifles were more prone to doubling due to a slow light trigger pull vs. a decisive firm trigger pull. Almost a bump-fire effect you might say.
    That's exactly what it is. The trigger is marked, "Tapco G-2". I did find if I pulled the trigger firmly, the gun would not double. But with the proper slow, easy trigger pull is when it would occur. This gun has very few rounds through it.