Thread: Star PD

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Star PD

May have asked this before but does anyone have a Star PD? Always liked the looks and size of this model and IIRC the only downside I recall reading about them is that mags are pricey, you need to replace the buffer and it seems like I read that you can gouge the feed ramp with certain bullet configurations? Just seems like a very light and easy to carry pistol in a major caliber but in a small package.

Prices seem to be in the $400+ range for nice examples with both mags. Are they any good? TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Handled a few, never fired one... Anyone I know that had a Star liked it. I think they were underrated as a manufacturer. I always wanted one in 9mmx23 Largo...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Had a Star M30, that thing was a tank.

Great big all-steel 9mm, really well built but parts are non-existent.

Cool pistol but got rid off if it during a safe-queen clear out.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I noticed that now AIM, I think it is, has C&R eligible Nazi war capture Stars available. I think we are talking the same ones. It is either AIM or J&G sales. They have newer ones as well that are not C&R eligible and they cost a little less. Never held or seen one except on the computer.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I had a PD in stock, (.45 ACP) that I bought off an old timer. It was still in the plastic case but he'd managed to lose one of the 2 magazines. Seemed like a nice piece but I never fired it. I eventually got it sold.

My father had a star PD. Damn thing ran like a top! I cannot speak to it's accuracy, but it went bang every time the trigger was pulled.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I noticed that now AIM, I think it is, has C&R eligible Nazi war capture Stars available. I think we are talking the same ones. It is either AIM or J&G sales. They have newer ones as well that are not C&R eligible and they cost a little less. Never held or seen one except on the computer.
    Back 10/15 years ago, Sarco had the market cornered on the Stars and Largo ammo...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I have one of the "Nazi" marked ones. I got it years ago when I had my C&R. I don't shoot it that much. But it is a good pistol.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna keep an eye out for one locally so I can handle it first. Just seems like a nice carry option. Just a word for those who may not be familiar with this particular pistol, the Star PD is an aluminum frame, subcompact, 6+1 capacity, 45 ACP. Some of the other Star pistols mentioned in this thread are not the same.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna keep an eye out for one locally so I can handle it first. Just seems like a nice carry option. Just a word for those who may not be familiar with this particular pistol, the Star PD is an aluminum frame, subcompact, 6+1 capacity, 45 ACP. Some of the other Star pistols mentioned in this thread are not the same.
    That's what my dad had. GREAT little carry gun.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Update:

Posted in another thread but saw this one and figured I'd update it. After more than 3.5 years I finally got my PD.

Kinda funny the way it happened. Was making my regular Saturday gun shop stops and like ever Saturday before I had no luck finding a PD. As I got back in my truck I noticed my clock read 11:11. My daughter said you should make a wish when that happens so I actually wished I'd find a Star PD. Two weeks later I walked into a gun shop I only hit about once a month and when I walked up to the display case this little PD was right there on the top shelf under the glass. Couldnt believe my eyes.

If/when that 11:11 thing pops up again I'm wishing for a winning Powerball ticket!
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well did you shoot it yet?

Not yet. Work and weather have been working against me.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068