Thread: New Bulgarian AK74

New Bulgarian AK74

So, I got this Bulgarian parts kit AK74 built on a NoDak Spud-2 receiver recently. Hadn't shown it off here yet so I thought I would. My friend had it built a couple years ago and I fell in love with it immediately and told him if he ever wanted to sell it he had to call me first. And he did Sorry for the crappy phone camera pictures!

1201141930.jpg
    1201141930a.jpg
    Last edited by Escobert; 12-02-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Very nice!

Ive owned a handful of Aks over the years, and my sar2/ ak 74 is by far my favorite...They come, they go, but that one will forever reside in my safe. Did you paint the wood?

Nope, it's an imported Russian set.

This is my second AK, first 74. My first was a Pars int imported Maadi RML. I love the platform. I grew up shooting a Chinese SKS and always loved that. Then moved to AKs as I got older.

Tried to help a little bit

Seems worthy of some better pics if you can
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Thanks! and yes I agree, it is. I can't wait to get a side rail and optics on it. Probably will have to wait until after the holidays though.

where do you find such beautiful furniture? nize...
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Thanks for blue balls!
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice. I swear I've seen that rifle before, but can't think of where exactly.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Beautiful rifle with an amazing stock set!!!

thanks guys! It was put together here in Vermont by my local gunsmith Steve Newlen (I hope i spelled his last name right!) He's been building AKs for years and is the one I'll be having put optics on it.

Like I said, as soon as I saw this rifle I had to have it. Waited two years and it's finally mine! And I got a GREAT deal on it. The receiver does have some scuffs and whatnot but, it's been used and loved for the last two years so that doesn't matter to me. I honestly don't know where my friend got the stock from. He just said he had it imported from Russia and because of the Ukraine nonsense you can't get them imported right now. It came with one East German Bakelite mag but, I think I'm just going to go with black mags for it. Not sure if I want to keep the Bakelite or not.

I got to asking my friend a bit more about the stock and he gave me this youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pN_HiLXLNM that was put up by the guy who ran the site he got it off. The site no longer exists however.
    Last edited by Escobert; 12-02-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Man that thing is nice! Love the furniture.

thanks!

I got to thinking today. When at the range and someone asks me "what kind of AK is that?" how should I respond? is it a "clone" or would another term fit it better?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Escobert View Post
    thanks!

I got to thinking today. When at the range and someone asks me "what kind of AK is that?" how should I respond? is it a "clone" or would another term fit it better?
    Tell them its a Bulgarian AK-74. If they want you to be specific, tell them it was assembled from Bulgarian parts by an American gunsmith, and is compliant with US and state gun laws.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Tell them its a Bulgarian AK-74. If they want you to be specific, tell them it was assembled from Bulgarian parts by an American gunsmith, and is compliant with US and state gun laws.
    heh, okay. that's basically what I had been doing. but people always want to know if it's this or that and I just say "uh bulgy/american parts russian furniture and it shoots nice"

So I got a new phone with a much better camera on it. here's a better picture with my East German Bakelite in.
    WP_20150108_002.jpg

She sho is purdy with that bakelite...
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    She sho is purdy with that bakelite...
    thanks! I'm not a huge fan of the bakelite color but it does look good with that furniture.

I can't wait for tax time so I can get some optics on it.

I've recently come around to liking it. Probably just due to it being something different without offending my inner "purist".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    I've recently come around to liking it. Probably just due to it being something different without offending my inner "purist".
    I hear ya. I like that it's light and strong just wish there were other colors. And obviously there's no way I'd paint it. I think the plum or brown poly mags would look good with that wood. Thinking about grabbing one of each to see.