Thread: Possible new purchase

Possible new purchase

Hello all. I am fairly new to the ak arena. I have one absolutely beautiful russian red Saiga that I bought from Atlantic Firearms a couple of years ago. It's so darn pretty I don't want to shoot it for fear of scratching it. Now I'm looking at this:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/comp....html?Itemid=0

I was thinking I might want another AR, maybe in 308 with a nice scope on it, but this thing looks so sweet. Anyone have any opinion on it? Can you put a standard scope on it? How's the availability of ammo? Any comments, suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Looks like one of those Romanian things.
    "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

“It’s not the Gun in Gun Control that bothers me. It’s the Control" -Nimbly

"A cop is to heavy to carry in my pocket, that is why I carry a gun" -unknown

Ron Paul - 2012

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The AR10 will be more accurate, but this VEPR is cheaper to shoot using surplus. If you reload for it, it could be nearly as accurate as the AR10 with factory ammo. I like the VEPRs a lot and would really like that model.

This is NOT one of the Romanian PSLs. The VEPR is about the best built of the AK world. They both are 7.72x54R and both on AK actions, but the quality of the VEPR is far better. This would be closer to the M76 Yugo.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Got a chance to do a comparison of an Armalite AR-10 vs a 308 VEPR. The Armalite was much softer, more accurate and generally more comfortable to shoot. On the other hand the VEPR has a cool factor and honestly if I hadn't had the AR-10 to directly compare to I would have been very happy with it. Of course without the direct comparison I would not have noticed the harder recoil or less accuracy of the VEPR.

DISCLAIMER: The AR-10 was fired using very hot competition handloads. The VEPR was using Silver Bear factory ammo. I did try one round of the handload in the VEPR and in all my years of shooting, this was the first time ever that I got pretty nicely thumped by the rifle.

If you just want to have fun with a rifle, get the VEPR as it is a high quality Russian made rifle. If you are after accuracy I would recommend the AR-10 in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Got a chance to do a comparison of an Armalite AR-10 vs a 308 VEPR. The Armalite was much softer, more accurate and generally more comfortable to shoot. On the other hand the VEPR has a cool factor and honestly if I hadn't had the AR-10 to directly compare to I would have been very happy with it. Of course without the direct comparison I would not have noticed the harder recoil or less accuracy of the VEPR.

DISCLAIMER: The AR-10 was fired using very hot competition handloads. The VEPR was using Silver Bear factory ammo. I did try one round of the handload in the VEPR and in all my years of shooting, this was the first time ever that I got pretty nicely thumped by the rifle.

If you just want to have fun with a rifle, get the VEPR as it is a high quality Russian made rifle. If you are after accuracy I would recommend the AR-10 in a heartbeat.
    Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards the Armalite for my collection.