Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: cannot get the safety to move past the disconnector

  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wreckless driving on dirty back roads
    Posts
    8,959

    cannot get the safety to move past the disconnector

    it binds against that piece and there seems to be no wiggle room, help. also, while I have your attention,
    will a g2 trigger group, from tapco, fit my m 70 ab2 and what about a single hook
    and a double hook and how do I know which to use. goin to replace the shephard
    hook while I am at it and use a plate, seems you have to do some filling on it to make it work. it hits
    the hardware for the underfolder.

    http://media.midwayusa.com/productim...114/114844.jpg
    Last edited by l921428x; 12-12-2014 at 12:59 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

    In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

  2. #2
    Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 02/2013 s15v8's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    287
    I jacked up my yugo underfolder safety lever by filing too much off, be careful on that, if you have to file, just take off a little at a time, a g2 trigger group will work.

    To know which hook to use, look at the bottom of the receiver where your trigger comes out and towards the back, you should see one or two little slots, if you have one, you need to get a single hook, if you have two slots, you can use either a single or a double, I'm not home to look at my yugo right now to see if I still have a plate or shepards hook on mine, to my knowledge, the yugo's have a slightly thicker receiver ( comparable to the chinese thickness 1.5mm the european ones use 1mm) I hope this helps you out

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wreckless driving on dirty back roads
    Posts
    8,959
    yes it does big time. damn skippy I will file slowly. in your opinion should I file the safety plate or the disconnect. where it is hitting is high enough not to even affect where the safety lands on the base. as it is, it looks as if I will have to cut the shepherd hook just to get the guts out. was going to put a plate in anyway.
    Last edited by l921428x; 12-12-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

    In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

  4. #4
    Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East of Atlanta GA
    Posts
    15,022
    Yugo M70 AB2 Series AK-47 Rifle 7.62x39 Caliber with 1.5mm Heavy Reinforced Stamped Receiver, Semi-Auto, Underfold Stock and (2) 30 Round Mags Included!
    Ok so it has a 1.5 mm thick receiver vs. the typical European 1 mm thick receivers. This is the safety that came with the rifle correct? If the safety won't rotate up due to the narrow tail of it hitting on the trigger group you would file or grind off the tail that rotates down as you swing the lever up to the SAFE position. If you remove too much then the safety will not work as it should. Remove too much metal and the trigger group will still move enough to allow hammer fall.

    As far as single hook vs. double hook, the double is the older design and is usually only used on milled receiver rifles. A person can put in a double hook trigger if you cut off one of the hook arms or slot the receiver to allow clearance for it. It is much easier to purchase the correct trigger set / type and avoid extra modification work. My 2 cents.

    Oh and on grinding on the disconnector very bad idea IMO. For one thing it should be hard enough to prevent a file from cutting it which means using a grinder on it.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-12-2014 at 05:51 AM.

  5. #5
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    14,781
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    it binds against that piece and there seems to be no wiggle room, help. also, while I have your attention,
    will a g2 trigger group, from tapco, fit my m 70 ab2 and what about a single hook
    and a double hook and how do I know which to use. goin to replace the shephard
    hook while I am at it and use a plate, seems you have to do some filling on it to make it work. it hits
    the hardware for the underfolder.

    http://media.midwayusa.com/productim...114/114844.jpg
    I would suggest using a Bulgarian shepherds hook (third diagram). If you look at it, you see that the part of the hook that goes around the trigger pin is "squeezed" when the front part is snapped under the hammer pin. This clamps the trigger pin and prevents it from rotating. Since the receiver and pins are both hardened steel, they will wear on each other and eventually oval out the hole in the receiver. Using a Bulgarian hook solves that problem. It's kinda tricky to install, but well worth it.




    By the way, I made this diagram years ago. Funny to find it with a Google search! I posted in on Gunsnet, then it got copied to Gunco, then it got copied to Arfcom. LOL!

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wreckless driving on dirty back roads
    Posts
    8,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Ok so it has a 1.5 mm thick receiver vs. the typical European 1 mm thick receivers. This is the safety that came with the rifle correct? If the safety won't rotate up due to the narrow tail of it hitting on the trigger group you would file or grind off the tail that rotates down as you swing the lever up to the SAFE position. If you remove too much then the safety will not work as it should. Remove too much metal and the trigger group will still move enough to allow hammer fall.

    As far as single hook vs. double hook, the double is the older design and is usually only used on milled receiver rifles. A person can put in a double hook trigger if you cut off one of the hook arms or slot the receiver to allow clearance for it. It is much easier to purchase the correct trigger set / type and avoid extra modification work. My 2 cents.

    Oh and on grinding on the disconnector very bad idea IMO. For one thing it should be hard enough to prevent a file from cutting it which means using a grinder on it.
    as far as I can tell and to my ability it mic's .061 in. or 1.54mm. the trigger is a double hook, the safety is original to this rifle and I am going to replace the spring with a retainer
    plate. I will have to cut the spring to get out the internals.

    to all thanx for the help and comments.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

    In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

  7. #7
    Senior Member BISHOP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,993
    The second diagram is how my 1988 Norinco came from the factory. As far as I am concerned that is how is should be and no other way.

    It makes perfect sense and isn't overly complicated and hard to remove or insert. And everything holds itself in place like most gun parts do.

    You know, you could always just E-clip the pins too.... I have one AK that is done that way.


    BISHOP

  8. #8
    Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East of Atlanta GA
    Posts
    15,022
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    as far as I can tell and to my ability it mic's .061 in. or 1.54mm. the trigger is a double hook, the safety is original to this rifle and I am going to replace the spring with a retainer
    plate. I will have to cut the spring to get out the internals.

    to all thanx for the help and comments.
    You should not have to cut anything to get the pins out. A flat screw driver, small one should allow the removal of the Shepard's hook retainer.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Partisan1983's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,753
    Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    The second diagram is how my 1988 Norinco came from the factory. As far as I am concerned that is how is should be and no other way.

    It makes perfect sense and isn't overly complicated and hard to remove or insert. And everything holds itself in place like most gun parts do.

    You know, you could always just E-clip the pins too.... I have one AK that is done that way.


    BISHOP
    I have a AK that is setup with e-clips. She is my most used/abused by far. Never had a problem
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Helen Keller's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rockin' a Piss
    Posts
    8,394
    tapco plate is the best.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wreckless driving on dirty back roads
    Posts
    8,959
    on the way, right now.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

    In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wreckless driving on dirty back roads
    Posts
    8,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You should not have to cut anything to get the pins out. A flat screw driver, small one should allow the removal of the Shepard's hook retainer.
    the spring is looped around the safety 2 times. to have placed the spring they would have attached it to the safety placed it over the trigger pin and under the hammer pin.
    this pin has what looks to be an arrowhead on the end, to lock it in they would have had to force the spring forward with the safety and lock the safety in place. without being able to disengage the safety past
    the disconnector I am kinda stuck. if I can get the spring out of the locks on the pins I may be able to drive the pins out. I will try that in a little while.

    ok, it drew some colour but I was able to depress the spring far enough to push it off the retainer on the hammer pin. just pushed the pin out. now the rest can follow.
    guess now I can start on the safety, just don't lose the disconnector spring, right?
    Last edited by l921428x; 12-14-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

    In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wreckless driving on dirty back roads
    Posts
    8,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    I have a AK that is setup with e-clips. She is my most used/abused by far. Never had a problem
    sounds as if you could throw a couple extra in the cleaning kit.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

    In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wreckless driving on dirty back roads
    Posts
    8,959
    ok I got the safety filed down nice and snug when it passes the disconnect. I only filed about 2/3rds of the drop not getting anywhere near where the safety actually engages the trigger group.
    bought a box of trench, from apex, awhile back. came with 3 upper and 3 lower hand guards, also came with 3 pistol grips. I am going to change this one over.

    hey Scheutz would you change all this to the Yugo forum. seems I have stuff in 2 places or change it all here, doesn't matter.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

    In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

  15. #15
    Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East of Atlanta GA
    Posts
    15,022
    You got it, now in the forum that covers Yugo AK types.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •