Thread: For sale: Rare Remington 14½ carbine in .38-40 – free shipping

For sale: Rare Remington 14½ carbine in .38-40 – free shipping (PA)

This is a Remington Model 14½ carbine in .38-40 WCF (aka .38-40 Remington). These are much rarer than the Model 14½ rifles. As far as I can tell, it is completely original. Here is a rundown on condition:

Bluing: I would rate the bluing at 80-85%. The receiver and barrel retain most of the original bluing. There are a few specks of minor rust, pitting, or scratches here and there, but nothing serious.

Fore-end: Perfect condition, no chips or scratches.

Stock: No cracks, but a few dings and gouges. You can also see some yellow paint on the right side. I think this could be removed, but am not certain. The one negative on the stock is that a previous owner carved his name and initials into the bottom of the stock. I have a picture of this that I can provide.

Buttplate: Original, but shows some bluing loss.

Sights: Wheel rear sight and brass bead front sight. Both appear to be original.

Mechanicals: Perfect. The gun locks up tight and functions flawlessly. I test-fired three factory rounds, loading from both the breech and the magazine. All three rounds fed, fired, extracted, and ejected with no problems. (I wish I had more ammo; this gun is a lot of fun to shoot.) There are no buggered screws or hardware.

Bore: The bore is in nice shape, with solid lands and grooves, except for one groove that has significant pitting for about 2/3 of the length of the barrel. However, the pitting does not extend to the muzzle. The pitting doesn’t seem to affect accuracy; I fired three rounds at a distance of 15 – 25 yards offhand, and managed a 1 ½” group at 12 o’clock from a center hold. I have pictures of the bore that I can provide, showing the pitting.

This is a really cool (and rare) firearm that I wish I could keep myself, but I can’t afford it. I’m asking $2,250, based on condition and my research. The price includes shipping and insurance to your FFL or C&R in the continental US. Also included are 15 cartridges that my friend handloaded. Each one is marked in magic marker with the recipe he used. (For example, “Unique 8.0”)

Payment is by cashier’s check, money order, or Paypal. I’ve only posted a few pictures in the ad. I took a lot of pictures and can provide them for serious inquiries. (Make sure you provide me with an email address.) This is a final sale, so please ask any questions beforehand. No trades.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunsrfun1; 12-15-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

gunsrfun1, per forum rules please provide your state or ZIP code.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Sorry, I am located in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    gunsrfun1, per forum rules please provide your state or ZIP code.

Steve
    Sorry, I am located in PA. Thanks