View Poll Results: Which caliber and why?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • .22lr

18 64.29%
  • 12ga

10 35.71%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12ga shotgun vs .22lr rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    I'm right handed, and here is my right shoulder.
    I'm starting to re-think this shotgun thing.
    For those of you recommending a pump shotgun...I can already tell you that is not happening.

Get the .22lr or learn to shoot left handed.

Rage

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Just one gun or just one 22?, either way it's quality first.
    didn't answer the question...lol

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    Get the .22lr or learn to shoot left handed.

Rage
    You didn't answer mine and to ask that of a guy with 11 of them is cruel and unusual. If I could make up my mind I would only have one, well maybe two, uh one for plinking, one for hunting, one for serious bullseye competition, one for free style, one for small bore rifle, one for long range plin............Houston, we have a problem here.

One 22 assuming I could have other guns that were not 22's it would be a toss up be...................uh that doesn't help...

Damn you!!!

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT

I am a target shooter as well as a hunter and I prefer aperture sights over notch sights and a woods range gun shouldn't need a scope unless you are getting into serious 50 yard and longer shooting at small bore targets.

If I could go out and buy any gun it would be an Anschutz but getting realistic and not giving up much in quality it would be a Savage

Last edited by old Grump; 07-19-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

swampdragon
    You didn't answer mine and to ask that of a guy with 11 of them is cruel and unusual. If I could make up my mind I would only have one, well maybe two, uh one for plinking, one for hunting, one for serious bullseye competition, one for free style, one for small bore rifle, one for long range plin............Houston, we have a problem here.

One 22 assuming I could have other guns that were not 22's it would be a toss up be...................uh that doesn't help...

Damn you!!!

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT

I am a target shooter as well as a hunter and I prefer aperture sights over notch sights and a woods range gun shouldn't need a scope unless you are getting into serious 50 yard and longer shooting at small bore targets.

If I could go out and buy any gun it would be an Anschutz but getting realistic and not giving up much in quality it would be a Savage

You need help.
    You're a 22 addict!
    lol....

I really wanted something in semi-auto...although I didn't clarify that.
    Nothing wrong with Savage either.
    I really really really like my Savage 308 a LOT.

I think I've settled on a Ruger 10/22.
    It's a different version from the standard.
    I started a thread about it.
    I'm pretty sure I'm sold.

It seems small and short enough to be really handy.
    Accurate too.
    I think I could both hunt AND target shoot with it with no problems.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

OK.
    Here's an interesting question for ya....

Let's say just for fun that you were limited to (1) and ONLY (1) .22lr weapon and you had to make a choice....
    Would you go with a pistol?
    Would you go with a rifle?

Then....
    "Which" pistol?
    "Which" rifle?

...and why?

In other words, if you had to pick quality over quantity?
    Swampy, I have two 22 rifles, a 10-22 and a Marlin 66. I don't see 2 cents worth of difference between them except that the Marlin was cheaper cost wise. The 66 has a tube while the 10-22 uses a mag. I think the 66 gets over looked by a lot of folks for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Swampy, I have two 22 rifles, a 10-22 and a Marlin 66. I don't see 2 cents worth of difference between them except that the Marlin was cheaper cost wise. The 66 has a tube while the 10-22 uses a mag. I think the 66 gets over looked by a lot of folks for some reason.
    Probably b/c the Marlin's tube mags were easily damaged.

Rage

My Marlin 60 has been popping acorns and squirrels since 1964 and the tube on it is just fine. I fired half my matches last year with it instead of the 10/22 and there wasn't hardly a nickles worth of difference in my scores. The bull barrel on the Ruger made it a little bit better for holding steady in the wind but not enough to make it a superior gun, it only cost more, not much of an advantage in my book.

Dumb Savage, they took away the picture of the gun and replaced it with a logo. Just for that I will switch to Remington, I'll show them bums.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

ruger 10/22

My Marlin 60 has been popping acorns and squirrels since 1964 and the tube on it is just fine. I fired half my matches last year with it instead of the 10/22 and there wasn't hardly a nickles worth of difference in my scores. The bull barrel on the Ruger made it a little bit better for holding steady in the wind but not enough to make it a superior gun, it only cost more, not much of an advantage in my book.

Dumb Savage, they took away the picture of the gun and replaced it with a logo. Just for that I will switch to Remington, I'll show them bums.
    Actually, I found my model 60 to be more accurate than my 10/22.

Rage

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    Probably b/c the Marlin's tube mags were easily damaged.

Rage
    Maybe if you used it to fell trees. I had a 66 when I was like 10 years old, my youngest brother still has it and it still works fine. The one I got a few years ago has been a good little rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by justinsaneok View Post
    ruger 10/22
    a regular one, not the 10/22 k go plane jane Don't get a match chamber gun their finicky on ammo good bullseye guns but for survival !!!!! O ya this isn"t a target post. Everybody knows magazines are better than tubes. O ya you cant put spare tubes in your pocket and you need to take the stupid spring tube out before you can load it. Kind of like my rem 700 MUZZLE LOADER. Can we say outdated! You can get anything you want for a 10/22, they are fun to tinker with and shoot. DId I mention that my 10/22 carbine out shoots my Mk 111 ruger pistol. I know It sounds crazy to SOME people but I'VE seen 10 pound ground hawgs go down at 175 yards With a 22 long rifle no shit I was laughing at him when I had seen what he brought with him. he fired once and missed high again and shot it in the head and it went through its fat head. He Said he has a riser scope mount cause his scope was running out of adjustment and then he could shoot to 200 to 300 yards I was like, ya right , then later read an article about a guy shooting a turkey that he put 3 layers of clothes on to prove lethality at 400 yards . The rounds went through 3 front layers the thawed butterball and 6 layers in the back at 300 yards. The 400 yard test was aborted due to 10 mph wind 5 out of 10 shots fired hit the turkey and went trough the turkey. Its lethal, light, cheap, easy to shoot. EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED SWAMPY !!!!!!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    1 of a thousand different stocks available. Thanks for the example and I bet you don't regret the purchase of that 10/22 ?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I'd much rather have a shotgun for hunting small game.

A .22 is fine if they're just sitting there waitting to get shot but if they decide to run as animals have a tendency to do, just hitting a moving target with a .22 is a real chore, and "good shot-placement" is just a dream.

I've taken a lot of rabbits and squirrels on a dead run, and birds on the wing with a shotgun.

If recoil is a concern then get some 2 3/4 low-brass shells loaded with birdshot, out of a long barreled full-size shotgun these won't kick much more than a .22.

There are 12ga shells loaded for just about any occasion or situation you can think of, you don't have to keep it stoked up with 3.5 magnum 000 buck for shooting squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    I'd much rather have a shotgun for hunting small game.

A .22 is fine if they're just sitting there waitting to get shot but if they decide to run as animals have a tendency to do, just hitting a moving target with a .22 is a real chore, and "good shot-placement" is just a dream.

I've taken a lot of rabbits and squirrels on a dead run, and birds on the wing with a shotgun.

If recoil is a concern then get some 2 3/4 low-brass shells loaded with birdshot, out of a long barreled full-size shotgun these won't kick much more than a .22.

There are 12ga shells loaded for just about any occasion or situation you can think of, you don't have to keep it stoked up with 3.5 magnum 000 buck for shooting squirrels.

well

I wish I could vote more than once like all the Obama followers. 2 3/4 bird shot kicking less than a 22lr .

Quote Originally Posted by justinsaneok View Post
    I wish I could vote more than once like all the Obama followers. 2 3/4 bird shot kicking less than a 22lr .

Have you ever fired low-brass shells.

Or do you even know what they are??

swampdragon
    Weevil,
    Are you shooting low brass from a pump gun or a semi-auto?

Weevil,
    Are you shooting low brass from a pump gun or a semi-auto?

Pump gun actually, a Mossberg 835.

Very light recoil and with a semi-auto they should be very tame. If anything I might worry that'd they'd be too light to cycle a semi-auto.

You can also get recoil pads that go on the end of the stock that will soften up the felt-recoil even more if needed.

.22s are fun to play with but if you're serious about wanting to put some meat on the table a shotgun is hard to beat.

Stupid Marlin 60, when I shot this target 2 days ago I nearly beat my shoulder to death, still so bruised I can barely stand it today with 7 aspirin and 2 Percocet in me.

[IMG][/IMG]

I gotta get me one of them there soft shooting shotguns with the soft bullets and the soft stocks and the soft trigger. Now where can I find me some soft targets.

THUCYDIDES.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast