View Poll Results: Which caliber and why?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • .22lr

18 64.29%
  • 12ga

10 35.71%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 12ga shotgun vs .22lr rifle?

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by james01 View Post
    ha ah ha I have a 12 gage that old grump wont shoot.
    I shot it this morning, it sucks. Damn action release lever gouged a hole in my hand. The 20 was nice. Okay, the 12 was accurate but the design sucks, mine is better.

=weevil;
    And don't be shootin' at me I shoot back and it won't be with a .22!
    Sling shots with marbles don't count.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Sling shots with marbles don't count.

Let's not get rude Old Gimp.

At least I can still shoot a slingshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Well sure... But how many jihadists are midgets?
    All of them really. Obama I mean Osama are exception to the rule.

I'll throw something else into the mix. I always keep a .22 conversion unit and 2 mags in my bug out bag. I know I'll have at least one AR15 with me. Then I have the ability for 5.56 self defense and quite .22 for small game or other necessities. I also have a .22 suppressor for the AR.
    It doesn't take up any room, light weight, and accurate enough for 50 yard shots.
    Plus I can carry 500 rounds of .22 without much added weight.
    Independent Field tester/Research and Developement

"Better to die for something than live for nothing"
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Let's not get rude Old Gimp.

At least I can still shoot a slingshot.
    Couldn't resist, you stuck your leg out there and I had to pull it. You are right about the sling shot though. between torn rotator cuff and surgical scar on my left forearm it's hard to shoot a sling shot anymore. No loss really, as much as I loved to play with it I was never very good.

You have no idea how many times I went rabbit hunting and sent shot after shot after shot over and under the same rabbit who just sat there completely safe from me. Blow gun and that sucker was mine, sling shot and I was Br'er Rabbit's entertainment for the day.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

What I want to see is that 100 yard shotgun or a shotgun shell as cheap as a 22.
    http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/ko_sabot.html

I never put Brenneke's 100 yard claim for the KO sabot to the test, but they're just the thing in brown bear country. But you won't find them as cheap as 22.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Couldn't resist, you stuck your leg out there and I had to pull it. You are right about the sling shot though. between torn rotator cuff and surgical scar on my left forearm it's hard to shoot a sling shot anymore. No loss really, as much as I loved to play with it I was never very good.

You have no idea how many times I went rabbit hunting and sent shot after shot after shot over and under the same rabbit who just sat there completely safe from me. Blow gun and that sucker was mine, sling shot and I was Br'er Rabbit's entertainment for the day.

Oh I was a terror with a slingshot when I was a kid!

There wasn't a bird or small animal or window that was safe when I was around.

What's worse is my uncle worked at the steel mill and would bring me bags of steel balls all the way from ones the size of peewee marbles to the ones like they had in pinball machines. My mom chewed his ass good one time after I killed a neighbor's cat, but he'd still slip them to me on the sly.

I still have a few wrist rockets around and I'm still a pretty good shot with one.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Rabbits, squirrel, opossum, wild turkey, quail, ducks, geese, pheasant, deer, damn. The list is really long.
    yup,a .22 would kill each of,and carry a hi power sidearm like a .45 or .44 mag or something,a good handgun has about the same range as a shotty for me,plus i can carry it with me while carrying the .22,so if I'm on a stump taking a dump I can get it and fire off rounds
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
    Thomas Jefferson

If you are talking about SHTF a .22 is the only way to go. A box of 550 22s weighs about the same as a box of 25 shotgun shells. You hit a rabbit, or something similar with a shotgun you are not going to have anything left to eat. If SHTF happens I am guessing there wont be any electricity. With that there is no gas for your car to carry a bunch of heavy stuff, and there will be no way to keep a lot of meat from spoiling. That means that unless you are feeding a bunch of people there is no real reason to shoot a large animal like a deer. The average man eats something like one pound of food per sitting. So you are down to small game and with a .22 you have a lot of chances to hit one. Ammo is cheap and plentiful, and because it is light that leaves room in your bug-out bag for camping pans, a shovel, water filters, fire starters, a first aid kit and a fishing pole. Bear Grylls says never rely on only one source for food.
    "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

“It’s not the Gun in Gun Control that bothers me. It’s the Control" -Nimbly

"A cop is to heavy to carry in my pocket, that is why I carry a gun" -unknown

Ron Paul - 2012

Savage 24, now there is a blast from the past. I can't remember the last time I read anything about them but it was many many moons ago. Can't say as I knew anybody who had one but it always seemed like a good idea to me.

THUCYDIDES.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345