Thread: Russian Bakelites

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Thumbs up Russian Bakelites

I just got the Bakelite mag I ordered last week (AIM Surplus). It's nice... Very nice. No signs of handling, looks like it just came fresh from the factory. The one I got was a Tula (AIM does not seperate Tulas from Izhevsk mags or guarantee which you will receive). Came with the capacity limiter (which I promptly removed), steel locking lugs front and back, and steel impregnated feed lips. Seems like a very sturdy mag and looks very nice. I was also impressed enough with the condition of the mag to order another. Maybe I'll wind up with one of each.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I ordered enough of these to use as my go-to mags. I love them.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

knew you would like em. wish I could afford some.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Crappy cell phone picture here, but beats nothing. Magazine is orange in color and fairly bright.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Very nice.

Dammit I love AKs. Even a humble WASR.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Once I scratch my "cowboy gun" itch and get my .204 Ruger AR upper built I got to get to buildin' myself a few nicer variants. Got some of the tools needed (spot welder, press brake, 12 ton shop press), just keep gettin' side tracked. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Once I scratch my "cowboy gun" itch and get my .204 Ruger AR upper built I got to get to buildin' myself a few nicer variants. Got some of the tools needed (spot welder, press brake, 12 ton shop press), just keep gettin' side tracked. lol
    That would be nice if you could roll your own AKs.

Whenever I start to get distracted by things like cowboy guns, I remind myself that I should be buying the guns which are more likely to get banned or will be needed for actual use.

Sounds like fun to me really.

I have what I need for practical purposes, other than maybe more mags and ammo. It's more about enjoying the hobby at this point aside from stockpiling more ammo and mags. So the cowboy guns and the .204 upper are the hotter irons in the fire at the moment. Then again, the "bannable" ones will likely be worth a lot if I do my part correctly.

I ordered some of these a while back... Some look brand new & others showed some wear. Either way they are a good deal as I paid a lot more years ago for some that I know are brand spanking new.

Probably going to be buying as many more as I can afford in up and coming months.

yeah since this thread was started I have seen them from 30 to 85 dollars and they always sell.
    wish I had a 10 of em. or more..........
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

They still have them. Got some myself.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ine&groupid=15
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

If I wasn't spending my gun money on other things I would pick some up. Oh well some other time I guess.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

That's a pretty good deal for Russian bakelites. Just a few years ago those were selling for $50-$75 apiece in my area. Crazy.

They seem to have gone up a few bucks at AIM, but they're still selling them for half the price some competors are selling them for, and with free shipping on them. Wish I lived a few hours south of where I do, I'd just go in store and check them out, maybe be allowed to pick out an Izhevsk as all I have gotten are Tula so far.