Thread: Gunbroker find, or how to ruin a rare rifle.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Gunbroker find, or how to ruin a rare rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=463231660

Saw the price, really good. Saw the seller not too far from me. Then saw the picture.

Oh the humanity.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Other than the furniture and muzzle break I'm not a fan of, I see nothing wrong with it at first glance. looks like a standard Arsenal SLR 95.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Other than the furniture and muzzle break I'm not a fan of, I see nothing wrong with it at first glance. looks like a standard Arsenal SLR 95.
    I concur. At first glance, nothing that you can't fix yourself. Unless you're seeing something that we are missing.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I owned an SLR-95 but can't recall if it had a scope mount on the left side as Original Equipment. Otherwise I can't really see much wrong with it other than the grip is not correct. Bet it also doesn't have a bottom tang. When I unsantized mine I actually installed a Bulgarian lower tang and riveted it to the lower as it should be.

newp, surplus side rail.

meh..
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

SLR-95 did not come from the factory with a side rail. Sure it can be removed, and I guess the holes welded up and the receiver refinished, but...

or you could just rivet the holes shut.

I need some plum spraypaint cause Im not shelling out what K-var wants for furniture for my SGL-21
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Provided the rail was installed correctly, I fail to see how this is ruined. IMO a side mount is the best option for attaching optics to an AK.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Provided the rail was installed correctly, I fail to see how this is ruined. IMO a side mount is the best option for attaching optics to an AK.
    I guess you would have to be a collector to understand how installing a side rail, or any other permanent modification to a rare rifle would ruin it's collector's value.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

I see nothing wrong either but that's just me! Good price he got it for though. Sorry Nut.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I guess you would have to be a collector to understand how installing a side rail, or any other permanent modification to a rare rifle would ruin it's collector's value.
    I do not own a Legend because of just that... every one I find at a gun show has the mod....
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I'm not a collector so it wouldn't bother me at all
    "That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power."
    - Article 16 Vermont Constitution

I could look at this from a collector stand point, except this isn't exactly a "rare" or even "uncommon" preban rifle. It's a model currently in production that you can find all over the place new in box.

For once you have me really puzzled 'Nut ???

How is a SLR-95 rare?

There had to have been more than 10,000 imported !?!?!

Am I missing something
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I could look at this from a collector stand point, except this isn't exactly a "rare" or even "uncommon" preban rifle. It's a model currently in production that you can find all over the place new in box.
    I guess I really am out of touch if I thought that the SLR-95 stopped being imported during the clinton stupidity.

For once you have me really puzzled 'Nut ???

How is a SLR-95 rare?

There had to have been more than 10,000 imported !?!?!

Am I missing something
    I'll admit am not aware of the actual number imported. Based on how importers brought rifles in with ATF approval, and how Arsenal liked to keep number low/prices high I honestly have no idea how many were imported, but knowing importers as well as I do can't imagine that many, but none-the-less cannot offer an honest alternative number.

Unfortunately there is not much data on the SLR-95, and nobody seems to have import numbers.
    http://www.theakforum.net/forums/23-...rce-guide.html

I thought about this all day at work and you are right 'Nut.

Arsenal is a VERY shady company to begin with. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any other manufacture that actually has blood on their hands like Arsenal (but that's a bit off topic).

I swear they hired ex-KGB/Russian thugs in the early to mid 90's...let us never forget the whole kvar and Chief Thunder fiasco (that has Arsenal's fingerprints all over it).

A un-molested SLR-95 is now A rare find, considering I can't remember the last time I have seen one in person.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

It appears I may have actually screwed up, I didn't realize that Arsenal had so many milled variants. But what that guy is posting, if it is a SLR95, has already made other modifications, so the scope mount still couldn't possibly be hurting much could it?

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

I don't think so. It sold for $842. Good deal there.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

I would've used real Bulgy AK hardwood furniture, that's what I did to mine. That mount is aftermarket. Looks like it comes with a ((10)) waffle mag which is cool, better than magpul or tapco for sure