Thread: is this a good place to start?

is this a good place to start?

While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

My 2 cents is no. Over $300 bucks for a pile of used part and cut barrel pieces, nope. You'll need 922R compliance parts; barrel, receiver, FCG, muzzle device or grip. You will be way over what you can buy one built. Do you have a Rivet Jig, Bucking Plates, 10 ton bottle jack press to rivet with? If no then you will spend nearly as much as a rifle's cost to get them.

yeah I knew that was the answer. but I just had to ask. to me it is the tools more than
    anything. it's just those you tube vids that have those kids in the ME beating them together
    with a hammer and 2 rocks, while whistling Hi Ho Hi Ho, that got me stirred up.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Building sure as shit don't save you much money, and you don't save any money by building instead of buying at all unless you build a lot of them. But on the other hand, it can be a fun hobby and you can really take pride in something you built yourself. As a cost saving measure, building is not the way to go. If you want a hobby, go for it. If you don't want a paper trail tracing the rifles back to you, go for it.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".