Thread: Blast from the past: AR15 magazine FAQs from the ban days

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Blast from the past: AR15 magazine FAQs from the ban days

Although ammo and com-bloc surplus guns were cheap during the "the ban," I do not miss the lack of options we had for magazines during this time, particularly for the AR15. I remember most non-USGI standard-capacity magazines being junk, since manufacturers quickly churned out mags before the 1994 ban took effect and worried more about quantity than quality. I stumbled across a couple of web pages from the ban era that happen to still be online and cracked up reading them as I remembered being at gun shows sorting through beat-up USGI M16 mags with no finish left sporting prices in the $20-25+ range. I still have a bunch of those mags, as well as the still-sandy Israeli Orlite mags that were common at the time.

Now I use Pmags and Lancers purchased at half the cost of the old mags.

Enjoy.

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/mag...rawlesfaq.html

http://magfaq.tripod.com/mags2.htm
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes we are much better off now. I wish I could free up enough money to invest in 1000 M16 magazines. I'd call it an investment for retirement.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I am so glad the ban was lifted 5 years before I got into "evil" guns. I've never had to deal with that much headache and hopefully never will.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".