Thread: Did a little trigger job on my WASR...

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Did a little trigger job on my WASR...

First to tell you all where I fucked up...

This rifle had a little shephards hook locking the hammer and trigger pins in place. No big deal... Except it won't go back in. Maybe I'll try for round two to get it back in in an hour or so... Or maybe I'll just buy one of them retainer plates and wait on it to come in the mail before I get it all back together. That looks simpler. As to why I pulled my fcg out to begin with:

Decided to pull my trigger group out and break some of the hard edges on the hammer, as well as de-burr the disconnector and sear. Also found some sand in the spaces in the trigger spring (need I explain?) that really needed come out. The point in all this was to primarily help smooth out the action in the rifle by decreasing how much the bolt drags on the hammer. making a minor improvement to the feel of the trigger was secondary as no matter what the trigger will be light with a long pull. A little dremel work on the hammer and some polishing with a hone stone on everything else really has this thing smoothed out well. Trigger pull is about the same, just less gritty (which I'm sure was due mostly to the sand in the fcg), and my bcg pulls back with far less resistance and really slams home with a bit more authority.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I went with side plates on my rifles once, but decided I hated the fact that the safety lever is what now holds the FCG in. So I put shepherd's hooks back in all my rifles.

Get a good long set of needle nose and make that bastard go back in. Not unless you plan on regularly taking your FCG out.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I considered that, but I do have this tendency to get a wild hair up my ass to tinker with shit. OTOH... which method more securely locks in the pins?
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Millions upon millions of AK rifles built and using a Sheppard's Hook. Seems to work just fine as originally designed.

Noted. Retaining plate is en route, shepherds hook is bagged and in a box of spare AK parts. If the retaining plate sucks, I'm out all of about $5 and I can put the shepherds hook back in. All's well.

the shepherds hook is Kalishnikov's way of having a sense of humor.

In 99, I bought a Sar 1, and a Sar 2....
    I started searching online about working on them, and came upon a web page run by a guy named Linx....
    He had a write up about the plate...

I put a retainer plate in both my Sars when I went with G2 triggers.

Both those rifles shoot like the day I put em in. Totally worth it....

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    In 99, I bought a Sar 1, and a Sar 2....
    I started searching online about working on them, and came upon a web page run by a guy named Linx....
    He had a write up about the plate...

I put a retainer plate in both my Sars when I went with G2 triggers.

Both those rifles shoot like the day I put em in. Totally worth it....
    Linx310 used to hang out here back in the good old days. Once in a while I wonder what ever happened to him.

^So far the only bad thing I can see about any of it is the saftey lever is now responsiple for holding in the fcg (as Funky already pointed out), but I don't honestly remove the safety selector for much very often, other than to take out the fcg and that time I ground down the bump that engages the slots for the fire and safe positions (jesus christ that selector was a bitch to move before I did that). Regardless, I've never heard anyone who put one in not like it other than Funky. If for whatever reason that winds up being a problem for some reason, I still have that shepherds hook.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    the shepherds hook is Kalishnikov's way of having a sense of humor.
    I can hear him now:
    "Stupid capitalist western pigs not good enough for rifle, this will show them!"

I am kind of laghing at myself, however. For some dumb reason I tried to use force to pull the hook over the diameter of the pin rather than getting my hammer holes and spring loops lined up with the receiver holes, placing the hook between spring and receiver wall and lining it up with the hole and then driving my pin through. Gotta be smarter than a bent paper clip, but like everything else I first attempt: I make it harder than need be.

Got the hook back in it for now, but being that I have nothing better to do this week, I'll be pulling it out again just to see if I like the retainer plate any better.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Linx310 used to hang out here back in the good old days. Once in a while I wonder what ever happened to him.
    Yea I was being sarcastic actually..He led me here in 01/02 and the rest is history....
    When I moved to Texas I got to do some beta testing with him, and we became friends...still talk on FB...

Donnys AK page really was a massive deal, it turned thousands upon thousands of people into AK collectors!

Came accross this picture earlier and meant to share it. The top picture (labeled "wrong") is how my hook was placed in my receiver, and is how I've re-installed it. Now the bottom half of this picture has me second guessing. I doubt it hurts much of anything, seeing how I've had this rifle for a couple of years and until now never dicked with the shepherds hook, but I'm curious.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    Yea I was being sarcastic actually..He led me here in 01/02 and the rest is history....
    When I moved to Texas I got to do some beta testing with him, and we became friends...still talk on FB...

Donnys AK page really was a massive deal, it turned thousands upon thousands of people into AK collectors!
    I stumbled onto Linx's great Romy site around 2002 after buying my 2001 SAR-1. I even exchanged a few emails with him about my SAR. He had a link to GN and the rest is history, as they say.

I wish he would check back in once in awhile with his old comrades.