Thread: Disappointed in the Stoeger OU I bought; Spend REAL $ on a shotgun?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Disappointed in the Stoeger OU I bought; Spend REAL $ on a shotgun?

The heel of my foregrip hand rubs the take down release and the Stoeger Condor disassembles on firing... Happened four times at the sporting clays range. yesterday.

The comb is too high and I can't get a sight picture without turning my head and pushing in hard. The result is a very bruised cheek bone area and an embarrassingly low score.

Guess I may have to un-ass some serious money and buy a real shotgun...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Or fix the one you have by smithing it.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have been very happy with the Winchester Model 101 I have. I believe they are made at the same plant that the Browning O/Us are manufactured at and cost at least 33% less.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Or fix the one you have by smithing it.
    Suggestions?
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Comb too high, file it down. Take down latch on the handguard shakes loose, analyze how it functions ant tighten it up.

So just remove comb until it fits and refinish?

What kills me about the take down is it is difficult to operate, but seems easy to release with the heel of my hand under recoil....

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post

What kills me about the take down is it is difficult to operate, but seems easy to release with the heel of my hand under recoil....
    Perhaps something is shifting under recoil that allows your hand to knock it open so easily? Try shooting it so that your hand is not able to hit the lever. If it releases then it's a problem with the mechanism. If it doesn't release on it's own but is easier to release than when the gun hasn't been fired then you'll know it's still a problem with the mechanism. It's either your hand, the gun or a combination. See if you can eliminate one factor at a time.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post

Um... yeah. I guess I'm underestimating the process of simply lowering and recontouring the comb on a weapon stock. I've built over 2 dozen muzzle loaders and single shot rifles doing all the stock work from a squarish blank of wood. To me a comb adjustment and refinish is not terribly more involved than installing a recoil pad or mounting a scope. On the latch, can you take a photo graph of it and post it?

Lightbulb

Is this it? Some kind of wheel release? I also looked at the stock. If it is like the images I'm seeing your front of the comb, (the nose) is high and the heal is lower. This gives you a slanted comb line and these IMO are nearly guaranteed to punch a man in the cheek and give them a bruise. Those lines are very old school dating back to the black powder rifle era of the 18th and 19th centuries.

My opinion on how to fix this has shifted is adjusted now. Honestly you'd need to put a really tall rib on it so you can get your cheek less hard pressed into the stock or you just plain need to replace the buttstock with one that has the comb running parallel with the bores from nose to heal. Large caliber rifles with a lot of recoil have such stocks. That the Stoeger people are still copying 200+ year old stock lines and not thinking more modern is ... well disappointing to say the least.