Thread: Range Report Savage Mk 2 BTVSS

Range Report Savage Mk 2 BTVSS

Range Report.

It was a nice day today, about 65 and sunny. I decided to jump right in at 50 yards for sight in.

I don't like excuses but I did yard work all day yesterday and I could feel that I was tired, I was not my steadiest and this is definitely not my best shooting.

First ammo I put through it was the Federal Auto Match. I was very unimpressed with this ammo. It was all over the place. Probably 1 1/2" to 2" group at 50 yards.
    I then switched to the CCI .22lr tactical. This is a plated bullet and it seemed like the rifle liked it a lot better.
    This is a typical group with this ammo.

not great but again this was not my finest day shooting.

My buddy had some old plated Remington ammo which produced this group.

not bad but notice the higher point of impact. The flyer just happened to be in the bull.

Accuracy could be affected by being a brand new gun and needing a little break in. Also would be better on a better day for me.

I did notice a slight jarr in the rifle as the sear released the firing pin before the round went off. I think I am going to mess with the accutrigger a little. I know that won't change lock time but might make for a smoother release. The trigger is nice however and the bolt is super smooth.

The real fun happened next. My range has a 50 yard rimfire silhouette rang with little metal plates and animal cutouts. I went through a couple hundred rounds blasting the little targets as fast as I could and the rifle definately shined here. It was hard to miss. Some of the targets are probably only 1"x2" rectangles. I actually put the scope to 3 power because it was too easy at 9 power.

All in all I am a happy camper. I expect that the accuracy will improve as I get to know the rifle and trigger and what ammo it likes to eat. I think it will improve with a little break in too. The stock is great and the heavy barrel makes it feel more stable than a 10/22. The jarr upon release of the firing pin is a little disappointing but I think I will get used to it. I can feel the same thing in my 10/22 when the hammer is released and can see it upset the reticle. The scope is very nice. I like the clarity of the nikon glass and it was easy to get it zeroed. I am not a big fan of the BDC reticle however and would prefer a simple duplex. The bolt is super smooth I was able to work it very fast at the silhouette range and still hit 95%+ of my shots.

sunny 65. you sure did have a good day for it.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Nice shooting, i knew it would shoot well. It's fun to have an accurate bolt gun in .22LR

Yea, play around with that trigger, i got mine adjusted as light as it will go and haven't noticed any jarring, just crisp let off.

I've been working on my 100 yard groups, got a few 3/4" groups with Eley match today. Took the target out to 200 and hit a 12'' shoot n c 3 out of 5 shots. My scope didn't have enough elevation so i was aiming at rock on the berm about 30'' over the top of the target frame. With a 50 yard zero the ammo i was using drops about 55'' at 200....i was worried it wouldn't carry enough energy to punch through the target

That silhouette range looks like fun.

We had some crazy weather today. When i got to the range it was really foggy, couldn't see the targets at 100 yards. The fog cleared long enough to shoot a few groups and rolled back in just after i moved it out to 200, took about 20 minutes to clear up just enough to see through the mist and see the rock on the berm.

Fun part of the day. when i moved back to 100, a big horse fly landed on my target. The ammo i was trying at the time grouped well but didn't shoot to point of aim. The fly stayed on the target for 10 shots while i used kentucky windage to chase him around the target, got within 1/2'' of hitting it a couple times.
    Last edited by davepool; 02-01-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice report post. See if you can find any Green Tag by CCI.

Great report. Really has me interested in one of those rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Great report. Really has me interested in one of those rifles.
    Go for it, I got the fancy model but the basic mark 2 models are a lot cheaper. It feels very well made and solid. The bolt is super smooth I could crank it and get off hits (on 1"x2" plates at 50 yards) pretty damn quick and you don't have to break your cheek weld.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Thanks for the range report. Glad you're enjoying it. Mine (FV-SR model) performs similarly and makes bench shooting way too easy!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003